1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sheapdog, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sheapdog

Sheapdog Thread Starter

First off, I have not started a build yet, but plan to soon. So I know my hardware, but some of the more technical aspects allude me. With that said:

I have asked many people and still can't find the answer I'm looking for. I have an hp a1750e (which doesn't come up in most lists for compatibility test etc.). The mobo is a A8M2N-LA (Nodus3). The specs can be found here .

I would like to upgrade my memory because I have Vista (trying my hardest to find a copy of XP) and I only have a gig (2x 512), and a hardware analysis prog I have (if it's correct) says that what I have is only 233mhz.

If I use a compatibility test of a model that has the same mobo, they only have come up with ram that is 533mhz or so. The above hp site states that "Supports PC2 4200 (533 MHz), PC2 5300 (667 MHz) and PC2 6400 (800 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs". So would that mean that all ddr2 800mhz ram work? What are all the things that would make a module compatible or not?

I was planning on getting something like the g.skill 2g(2x1g) 800mhz kit (newegg). Would this work at all? If it isn't compatible, will it not work at all or will it just underclock itself to the mobo's standards, or could the hardware be physically harmed?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

Kingston know what sort of RAM your computer takes: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...ilion+a1750e+CTO&distributor=0&submit1=Search

I would suggest getting a matched pair of 1GB DDR2-667 sticks, doesn't have to be Kingston, as long as they're identical. DDR2-800 will probably work too. That will take your RAM up to 3GB. The g.skill kit you mention should work fine, "DDR2-800" just means that it's rated at up to 800, it will run fine at 667, 533 or 400 too.

3. Sheapdog

Sheapdog Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I just ordered the g.skill. If for some reason my mobo doesn't want to suppot the 800mhz, will I need to manually underclock it?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The board should download clock the memory if it needs too by itself, but the HP site does list 800Mhz as a supported speed so it should work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice