1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory diagnostic result

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joseph King, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joseph King

Joseph King Thread Starter

We had our main machine blue-screen on us a couple times within a week.

I took the memory out and put it into a different machine and ran Windows Memory Diagnostic from floppy (those USB floppy drives are cheap and actually functional and handy, by the way).

I left it running in Standard mode for about 24 hours. When I came back to check it, it had done 300 passes, and it showed one error during pass 132. (It also reveals which module when I drill down.)

Is this conclusive that it's bad memory? What are the odds it's a fluke mis-reading or perhaps some intermittent imperfection in some piece of hardware in the machine that this diagnostic test is running on?

The reason I ask is not so I know whether to replace the memory or not -- that's a given, it's history. I'm asking because I need to make a decision on whether our main computer that was blue-screening is now okay because we removed this memory, of if it may still have other bad hardware because this memory diagnostic is not really 100% reliable.

Thanks!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Test the memory in the problem machine. Next what memory are you using? Post a link to your memory. The reason is that high performance memory will very often need a higher ram voltage [vdimm] set in the bios. Running high end ram at stock voltage often results in errors.

3. Joseph King

Joseph King Thread Starter

>> "Test the memory in the problem machine." <<

I don't understand what you mean. I took the memory out of the problem machine as soon as possible in case that was the culprit and replaced it with other memory. I put the memory that came out of the problem machine into another machine that we don't need to be using every day and am running the diagnostic on it around the clock in that machine.

Simple-Tech "Value" Memory, PC-2 6400, 1GB sticks, 4 of them; (was in HP Core 2 Duo machine, our main machine).

By the way, can I run diagnostic on this in a Pentium 4 machine that came with PC-2 4200U RAM? Will test results still be reliable if it shows an error? Or should I only test it on a machine that came with the same PC-2 6400 RAM?

Thanks.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I mean leave the memory in the problem machine and test it.
    Memory is matched to the machine. All [or almost all] motherboard makers have a list of approved or tested memory for their products. How do you know the memory you removed and installed in another machine has ever been tested and found to work in that machine? In order for the memory test to be valid, test it in the machine with the problem.

Install your memory into the machine that is having the problem. Now boot with a memtest CD and run a test. Almost all value memory does not need a higher vdimm set in the bios. It basic not high performance memory.

Next do you have any monitoring software installed that will monitor voltages? Many board makers supply this or you can use something like speedfan. You can also monitor your voltages in the bios however the system is not under any load when running in the bios.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW what you are looking for is a varying voltage; ie the 12V rail going from 11.8 to 12.2V or something like that. If you see the 12V rail dropping when the system is put under a load, it is a good indication that you have a power supply that is failing.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice