1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory difference in video cards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mayor Quimby, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mayor Quimby

Mayor Quimby Thread Starter

i know there are video cards that have 128 mb memory that are better then video cards with 256 mb memory.

so what difference does the memory make?

If u play a game like doom 3 (i know is not out yet), would difference a card make if it were the same spec card but one had 128 mb and other had 256 mb.

The reason i am asking this is because i have a geforce 2 64 mb and i looking to spend about 200 $ on a new video card by the time doom 3 comes out so i can play that game with a decent setting.

2. zeddy

zeddy

you need to know what card your motherboard supports, post your system specs.

3. Mayor Quimby

Mayor Quimby Thread Starter

p4 1.8 ghz
    256 mb memory
    geforce 2 vid card
    soundmax sound card
    40 gig hd
    intel d845ebg2 motherboard

4. zeddy

zeddy

your mobo natively supports 1x. 2x, 4x AGP cards, 8x cards are backward compatible. As long as its a 1.5v card (all modern cards) you will be fine.

5. HappyHacker

HappyHacker

The memory just supports onboard texture storage. Many video games don't need more than 128Mb, and as stated above you 4X limit is more of a gaming concern than the extra 128Mb.

I would get a 128 card and another 256 of system RAM to improve performance.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/252618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice