1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory DIMM upgrade not seen by Win ME

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ingenou, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ingenou

Ingenou Thread Starter

Hi

I just bought a PC133, 168-pin SDRAM DIMM (128MB) for an Advent Athlon 1.1GHz, to bring the total up to 256Mb.

The stick is actually not as tall as the manufacturer-installed stick, but is the same in all other repects.

The trouble is, after installing it correctly, the system still says '128Mb RAM' - both in Control Panel-System and at start up....

Anyone have any ideas?

2. monted

monted

Assuming you have 2 128Mb sticks, do you have them installed in the 2 lowest numbered slots? If so, try booting the computer with only the newest stick and if it wont ,it's probably a bad stick of RAM.

3. Ingenou

Ingenou Thread Starter

Hi

I've tried swapping them around and it's reading 128Mb either way I do it. What I haven't done is try both 128Mb sticks in the 2nd slot, leaving slot 1 empty.

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. :)

4. monted

monted

Try the new stick only.If it doesn't boot,put the other stick back in. I'd say the new stick is bad,then.

5. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Need more Info Please. =) What version of windows? does your PC make and "beeps" while Booting up. Also move mem sticks to Different slots. Make Sure you ground yourself to the Case as not to "fry" the stick with static. Post back with results

6. Ingenou

Ingenou Thread Starter

Hi

Win ME & yes it does the standard single beep when starting up (it's always done that).

I'll put just the new stick in both slots tomorrow and then just the old stick in slot 2 (it was installd there on purchase) .. there are two memory slots only.

The fact that I've swapped both sticks between slots, but it still only shows 128Mb is starting to suggest to me that slot 2 or the motherboard itself may be faulty... I'll let you know what happens.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice