1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory/Disk Space

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cinders, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Hello,

Windows 98SE

I am getting a bit confused re the difference between 'memory' and 'disk space'.

I have just had extra memory added as I kept crashing, and I have 512MB of RAM

I have a lot of files in 'My Documents' which are backed up onto a CDR.

If I delete these files from 'My Documents', and just insert the CDR when I need access to these files, will it free up the memory, the disk space or both?

I want to know so that I can prevent the problems I was experiencing, prior to having extra memory installed.

Thanks for any advice/information

Cinders

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

512mb of RAM will not give you any real performance difference with Win98.
    Your crashes were caused by something else.
    What is happening when the crashes happen?

Disc space is the actual capacity of your hard drive. This is the data that your system has stored.......Windows itself, your programs, your data (user created) are saved there. Once it is written to the disc it stays there until you delete or change it in some way. Every time you start your computer it is still there.

Memory is not long-term storage. It is only active while the machine is powered up. Windows is using some and your running programs are using some and any new documents that you create are in the memory too. This data is cleared from the memory when the power is shut off though. If you start a new document and shut the computer down, have a power outage or close the program that was making it, it is lost. You have to "save it to disc" for it to be perminent.

The problem with saving documents to a CD rather than your hard drive is that you can't modify the data. If you just want to see what is there, it is fine, you just can't change it. If you write data to a CD and then delete it from your "My Documennts" folder.........You have saved "Disc Space" not memory.

3. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thank you Longhair

My screen kept freezing, then When I re-started I had a mustard coloured screen with lots of ? full stops on it. When I re-started again, my pc started itself in 'safe mode'

Still no joy and if I tried to get into 'safe mode' again (F8) it would not go into safe mode, instead lots of green vertical bars appeared on the screen and my pc had again frozen.

4. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thank you Longhair

My screen kept freezing, then When I re-started I had a mustard coloured screen with lots of ? full stops on it. When I re-started again, my pc started itself in 'safe mode'

Still no joy and if I tried to get into 'safe mode' again (F8) it would not go into safe mode, instead lots of green vertical bars appeared on the screen and my pc had again frozen.

I took my pc to a professional who added the extra memory and all now appears ok.

Cinders

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

They must have done something else to it (either deliberately or by accident) or you had something (video card?) loose that was reconnected when the computer was moved/serviced.
    The memory up-grade had nothing to do with it, other than maybe one of the cards being reseated while the memory was installed.

6. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments LONGHAIR

Regards

Cinders

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice