1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory - Dual Channel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JimmyBrasco, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimmyBrasco

JimmyBrasco Thread Starter

Im just wondering about dual channel memory.

Say there is 2gb kit (2x1gb) 667MHz Dual Channel, would each card have 333 each? or each seperate one have 667MHz?

also if i had more memory faster than 667MHz, say 800MHz, they would be running at the slower speeds of 667MHz yes?

2. krazykat691

krazykat691

nope.its much faster.

3. JimmyBrasco

JimmyBrasco Thread Starter

i was meaning if i had say 2gb (2x1gb) of 667MHz dual channel memory and another 2gb (2x1gb) of 800MHz dual channel memory i have read that the 800MHz would be running at 667Mhz as the run at the slowest speed memory you have. Is that true?

also still seeking about dual channel - 667MHz - 2x333mHz? or 2x667MHz

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

When mixing speeds, all of the RAM will run at the slower speed.

667MHz is technically incorrect, though lots of places selling RAM call DDR2-667 RAM "667 MHz". The memory bus actually runs at 333 MHz and the RAM transfers data twice per clock, or 667 million data transfers per second (not "667 MHz").

Dual channel memory still runs at 333 MHz. In dual channel mode two sticks of RAM double the available bandwidth to the CPU. But that doesn't mean the CPU performance is doubled though. Dual channel mode is faster, but it isn't necessarily twice faster.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!