1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Error...root of my problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xander, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

Finally wrote down that damn message I get every so often with regards to the problem I'm having with my computer system not wanting to keep any games running.

This is the error message I keep getting:

This application has encountered a critical error:

FATAL ERROR!

Program: C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\War3.exe
    Exception: OxCOOOOOO5(ACESS_VIOLATION) at 001B:6F3F5OE6

The instruction at 'Ox6F3F50E6' referenced memory at '0xFF609FAC'. The memory could not be 'read'.

Press OK to terminate the application

Any help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Open the Device Manager and go through the View menu to "Resources by type". Find the range that includes '0xFF609FAC' and you'll be closer to finding out what really happened.

Also, go to www.sysinternals.com and download the "Process Explorer" utility. You'll need it to narrow your search down to the exact module that's crashing and what it's trying to access.

3. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

Will do, and thanks :).

Would you be able to advise as to whether this is potentially the same problem as to why I can't play *any* games on this system lately, even though this game is the only one that gives me that error box? I've done a little research on it the last few hours, and from what I can gather, people are saying one gets this message when the BIOS strings are messed up..

Unfortunately, I don't know a dang thing about configuring the BIOS

4. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

It's too early to tell. First you have to find out if you're having problems with hardware or not.

5. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

FFB80000-FFBFFFFF would be the range, I presume...it's "Motherboard Resources". I double clicked on it and it showed no conflicts, but said no drivers were installed for the device. I threw in the motherboard driver disc again and tried to install a driver, but it said that there wasn't a better driver that I didn't already have.

I've downloaded that program you said to get, and have it running now...will be going and crashing my system as soon as I do this reply to see if it can't catch anything(hopefully it remembers following a hard boot, heh)

6. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Okay, so apparently it's not a hardware problem.

If your computer is rebooting itself when that happens, go to System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/System Failure and disable "Automatically restart". You need to run Process Explorer when the error happens in order to track down what module was at fault.

Do not press "OK" because that will close the program and all the evidence will be gone.

When it happens again open Process Explorer enable "Show DLLs" in the view menu and then "Select columns". Go to the DLL tab and put checkmarks in all the boxes. The most important columns this time are "Base address" and "Image base address".

7. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

UGH!

You are *so* going to hate me...This memory not being 'read' thing isn't the problem with my computer, apparently(what is still remains a mystery). It turns out that error is common with Warcraft III, and is a problem with the game itself, not a person's computer...and since that's the only game that gives me that error message(the others usually just give me the "such and such as committed an error, would you like to send a report to Microsoft" screen.), apparently I've been using a bad indicator to try and figure out what the heck the problem is with my computer.

I've switched my testing over to Madden 2004...it's not giving me that screen, what it's doing it just crashing to desktop after a couple of minutes.

...And now Internet Explorer just gave me the "has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" screen mid post here...I *HATE* this system! No clue what's wrong with it :(.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download www.memtest86.com and run it overnight. This should turn up any bad memory.

9. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

I've seen bugs like that before, and you're right, it's probably a software problem. Staying alert and being ready to track down the actual culprit will help you solve the problem once and for all.

The reason I started you looking at the hardware is because it can sometimes lead you right to a buggy driver. ;]

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!