1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory & hard drive upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MichL81, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichL81

MichL81 Thread Starter

I work in the Communications department of a university. They are looking to buy memory and hard drive upgrades, 5 each. Here's some info:

-128MB RAM (qty. 5)
    -20GB hard drives (qty. 5)

What brands would you recommend? I heard Crucial Memory is good:

128MB RAM for $44.09, I heard their product is good. Do you agree? What about for hard drives:

20GB 5400RPM Ultra DMA/ATA 100 for $59.00??
    Seagate 20GB 5400RPM for $68.00??
    20.5 GB - WD205EB 5400RPM Protg OEM ATA100 for $71.00??

Any suggestions? Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] with any suggestions, or if you need more info.

Thanks for any help:)

2. Norwalker

Norwalker

Hi, this is just my opinion, but here goes

First, the memory. Yes, Crucial is a very good choice for memory. Before you buy, be sure it is the correct type for what your requirements are ( use their Memory tool on the home page). Also, another good memory maker is Kingston. However, I do not believe that they sell directly to the public, so you would have to buy through a reseller. The important thing about buying memory is to be sure it has a lifetime warranty. This will protect you down the road, in cases of failure etc. under normal conditions

All of the Hard Drives you listed are good drives. I have no particular choice between them, Though I know from personal use that I have used Western Digital Hard drives without one failing on me. The only thing I see with the particular ones you have chosen is that they are all 5400 rpm drives. These drives will be a bit slower on seek and access, simply because of the speed of the platters ( 5400 rpm). If you have the budget, I would pay a bit more for a 7200 rpm drive.

Another Hard Drive maker to consider is Maxtor. They also make good drives.

Hope this is helpful to you :D

3. MichL81

MichL81 Thread Starter

I just wanted to say thanks for your help. I spoke to a few other people who said the same thing as you did. They recommended Western Digital, but also said Maxtor is good.

About the 5400 rpm thing, I did that on purpose because of budget.

Thanks again:D

Michelle

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!