1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Memory help needed!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jock2727, Nov 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jock2727

jock2727 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16281 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) 530, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 224 GB (163 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (1859 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0Y1T82
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

First of all, I'm a 65yr old technophobe, so please make your replies as simple as possible so that I can better understand.
    I was recently given the above mentioned laptop. I have not owned a computer with both SSD and HDD before and although I understand that the SSD is faster, that's about it for me. Am I right in thinking that if I allow all my files to stay on the SSD, where it seems to want to keep them, that eventually it will slow the laptop down? (I'm an amateur photographer, so there will be thousands of image files, both RAW and .jpg.)
    Is there any software already in the laptop which will move files in order to keep it running at its optimal, or do I have to move files myself from the SSD to the HDD? I understand that when adding files to the laptop that I can choose where to store them, but is there a way I can do this automatically? Also, can you offer any advice on using the different memories which will keep my system from slowing down after time?
    Thanks....

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Because a SSD (solid-state drive) is so much faster, use it for Windows and the programs you use the most so that they start up faster.

Since the HDD (hard disk drive) is larger, and cheaper, use it to store stuff like your pics, music, docs, and other data files.

As far as too many files slowing down the SSD, no need to worry, it'll take care of itself. And Windows 10's built-in defragment utility automatically takes care of fragmentation on the HDD.

And as far as making storing stuff to D: automatic, once you have selected a folder on D: to store something, Windows will (should) remember that location and open it the next time you go to store something else.

jock2727 likes this.
  3. jock2727

jock2727 Thread Starter

That is precisely the type of answer I was hoping for; easy to understand and covering every aspect of my complicated query. I can't thank SpywareDr enough for taking the time to reply so fully. What an amazing start to my site membership.

SpywareDr likes this.
  4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Wow! Thanks Jock. (y)

5. jock2727

jock2727 Thread Starter

Credit where it's due....

SpywareDr likes this.
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice