1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Issue w/ Vista PLZ HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Hitsu, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hitsu

Hitsu Thread Starter

I have a combined total of 2 gigs of memory, and my BIOS recognizes that I have 2 gigs installed but it also says that the USABLE amount of memory is something like 1543MB out of the 2 gigs.

is this normal? or is there a setting that i have to change that would give me access to all 2 gigs of memory?

ASUS A8N32-Sli Deluxe motherboard w/ Phoenix BIOS

any help would be appreciated! :D

2. zacke

zacke

How many sticks of RAM do you have in your machine?
    Get CPU-Z, and goto the SPD tab to verify that you have that much RAM properly installed.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is you graphics card a "onbord" type, if so it may be using the missing memory.

4. Hitsu

Hitsu Thread Starter

my graphics card isnt on board, its PCI express: Radeon X850 Pro

also the memory is different sizes, i have 1 gig stick, a 512 stick and two 256 MB - the gig stick is by Kingston and the other 3 sticks are by Patriot - im not sure if mixing brand names would cause that to happen because BIOS recognizes that theres 2 gigs available, but it just wont let me use all 2 gigs.

5. Hitsu

Hitsu Thread Starter

I downloaded CPU-Z and ran it and im noticing that the gig stick i have is PC2100 and the 512 MB stick i have is PC3200 and so are the other two 256MB sticks. now....speed isn't really that much of a factor in determining how much size you can use is it?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You may not be sure but I am....sounds like 1 512 is not registering at all and if you just throw ram in like that, it will happen. You need to have the same model number so density, and ecc factor are the same as well as cas latency.

7. jmwills

jmwills

From what I have read and listened to, Vista addresses memeory much different than does XP. Vista will see the entire 2 gigs but if you have a higher end video card say 256 mbs, you need to subtract that from the total amount that can be used so you also have something else being addressed using up the total amount of memory.
    Not the gospel, but I have heard this discussed many times and this was the only reason given.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Only if it is onboard video and that is no different from XP.

9. windhair

windhair

I would say, one of your ram is crashed, check each of it separately.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice