1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory issues and crashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThomasMosey, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ThomasMosey

ThomasMosey Thread Starter

Hello there,

I have recently been building a computer for me to game on (I'm no hardcore gamer and I play a small variety of games which aren't too intensive on CPU, graphics or RAM). It has been a slow 2 weeks of ordering different parts after thinking hard about each of them, but I've had it up and running a few days now, and I've used it quite a lot.

Something that has started happening today is that the PC can randomly just stop. There are no messages, nothing happens, doesn't shut down or anything, the screen just stops like it's just an image and it won't fix itself, and requires me to reboot it for it to work again.

I think this may be a RAM issue, here are my specs:

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II 3.2Ghz CPU
    EZCool 750W PSU
    1x 4GB Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
    2x 4GB Corsair VenganceLP 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
    Stock Cooling
    ATi Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 Graphics

I have also ran Memtest and it passed perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

2. sonexpc

sonexpc

Restart the computer and see what say in the window event log.... You buy expensive MB but not that Good PS and try just use 1 4GB CorsairVengance 1600Mhz DDR3 Memory to test...

3. ThomasMosey

I'm sorry, Windows Event Log? I've never used that before, what is it?

4. sonexpc

sonexpc

Right click "My Computer" > "Manager" > Event Viewer...

5. ThomasMosey

Theres nothing unexpected in there, just a few Critical errors "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

6. sonexpc

sonexpc

If it didn't show the error in there we know is not cause by Software ... You try to use just one Memory yet? If not try it .... The rest may be unstable Power Supply but this is difficult to test ...unless you have another one to test.... Try to go for teh BIOS there should be a area show the Power CUrrent and also see the TEMPATURE of the CPU is in accept range... CPU over Heart may casue the same issue.

7. ThomasMosey

I always have ROG Connect on my laptop to show my temps etc. and CPU temperature is always fine, nothing out of the ordinary. And I'm trying one stick now - so far so good, but this happened last time I tried a solution. Maybe it's my operating system?
    I shall go through the BIOS power view if this crashes again, otherwise I'd have to start the 1 stick of RAM test all over again.
    I'll get back to you shortly.
    Thanks.

8. ThomasMosey

Crashed again with one stick, this time whilst playing a game, so it's not anything to do with it being Idle. And the Voltage monitor says this:
    CPU Voltage [1.343V]
    CPU/NB Voltage [1.091V]
    CPU VDDA Voltage [2.474V]
    DRAM Voltage [1.488V]
    HT Voltage [1.191V]
    NB Voltage [1.098V]
    SB Voltage [1.111V]
    3.3V Voltage [3.336V]
    5V Voltage [5.038V]
    12V Voltage [12.003V]

Oh, and it has been working fine the last few days and I literally spent the whole day on it yesterday without any problems.

9. sonexpc

sonexpc

Any missing device drive not install or has problem?

You can also try "msconfig" and try to choose only only enable Antivirus Program on the start up program.... try to disable all software you don't need it to start up like printer monitor software.... and then try to play the same game again...

If The crash only happen while you play game .... then may be Video Card Related ( or the power provide to the Video Card is not stable) .... Try to install the lastest driver..

By the way What brand is your Video Card ?

10. ThomasMosey

Nope, I've installed all drivers, including graphics card (Which is a ATi Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 by the way), and it doesn't just happen whilst playing games.

11. jkilbrid

jkilbrid

I have this exact same problem actually, consider this tagged

12. wilson44512

wilson44512

In one post you said "building a computer"
    In another you said "I always have ROG Connect on my laptop"

Which one is it?

With that card you said i think its a PC. if so make sure that you have the video card plugged into the power supple. on the back of the card

13. ThomasMosey

It's both. ROG (Republic of Gamers) Connect is a connection through USB from the PC to another device (In this case, my laptop) which allows me to monitor temperatures, fan speeds, voltage control etc. etc.

And yes, the power supply is in the graphics card.

14. wilson44512

wilson44512

Never heard of that before. does it still crash if the laptop is not hooked up with it?

15. ThomasMosey

Unfortunately yes.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice