1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by felinefreak, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. felinefreak

felinefreak Thread Starter

I just got a new computer last week.
    HP Pavillion a810n
    AMD Anthlon 64 processor
    Windows Xp SP 2
    2. 41 GHZ
    384 mb ram.
    Now heres the thing,

When I bought this thing, it said 512 mb ram,
    on the box & everywhere else it says 512 ram.
    However, in the system properties it says 384 mb ram.
    And I can barley keep it over 200mb ram when I,m on.
    It boots up with 150 when its thru loading.
    I have the bare essentals running.
    In fact I have the same thing running on this computer that I had on my other one which was a HP 520n,
    intell celeron processor 1.3 ghz
    512 mb sdram

So whats the problem here?
    My other computer rarely dropped below 380mb at any given time & thats when I would run a vsariety of different apps.
    This one right now as we speak, on line & here, I'm looking at 213 of ram.

I just dont understand.
    Am I missing something?
    Was I duped into thinking i got one computer only to find out it isnt the right one?
    Please help.
    I dont want to call Circut City where I got this & look like an *** telling them the problem. :confused: :confused:

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Looks like you have a 512Mb DDR RAM module with 384Mb of System RAM and the rest (128Mb) set aside for Video.

If you take the side panel off you'll see how many RAM slots there are. I would certainly add another 512Mb of RAM.

Out of 512Mb of RAM I would have 235Mb free with just this browser and a text document open.

3. felinefreak

felinefreak Thread Starter

Thanks, that was fast.
    Thought that might have been a reason or close to it since with this computer I have a dvd writer too.
    Yeah, I'm gonna need at least another 512mb I havent tried to run my dvd or cd writer yet but I probably dont have the memory to even do it.
    Thanks again.

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

My pleasure. Thanks for replying. You can mark this thread Solved with the Thead Tools at the top right of the page.

NOTE: If you have sufficient RAM then you shouldn't need a paging file at all and could disable the paging executive. So adding 512Mb will put you in a better position altogether.

Just come across another machine with 256Mb of RAM where 64Mb is for the video. So he only had 192Mb to run XP Home on.

We put in 2 x 512, which is the maximum for that model, so that is 1024-64 or 960Mb for the system. Using all of his photographic programs, and Paint Shop Pro, is much easier now.

Got the RAM at a reasonable price at a computer show. Less than half of the manufacturers price.

512Mb DDR RAM 400 for US$ 83.44 ($166.88)

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

BUt, you certainly appear to have lots of ram. You indicate that there is over 200MBs free, and this is presumably before XP gets agressive and moving areas to the swapfile, such as any that are involved in the boot process and thus are no longer required.

XP should run fine on 384. The extra ram would come into play and be of use if you are doing large photo editing. If you aren't, run for a while on this config.
    As well, I would check back where you bought it, and ensure that the "missing" 128 is actually being used by your video card.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice