Memory leak or hog or ???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Monkey Boy

All of the sudden--with no software installation or reconfig that I can blame--my Windows 98 machine is giving me an error that says

"Not enough memory is available. Quit some programs."

P3 with 256MB RAM. Memmon shows about 6% physical memory and 95% virtual available.

When I kill everything running--and even clean out the system tray--it goes up to 8% physical.

When I boot into safe mode, it goes to 75% physical. All counts on the memory seem to indicate the RAM is fine. So something seems to be stealing all my physical memory at Win98 launch.

Please help! Thanks!

Just running Windows takes a lot of system resources, moving the mouse, displaying the GUI. The processe you see running when you do an alt-ctrl-del are not the only ones running. I would still suspect a hardware or crappy driver problem. Make sure you have the latest drivers and that your system is not running in DOS compatibility mode. To check this, right click my computer and go to properties, click the performance tab and it should tell you there.

Monkey Boy

Fortunately, System properties shows "optimal performance," and File System is "32-bit."

I cleared up a question mark in Device Manager (by removing the unknown device--so that still is unresolved) and still I'm at 32% physical memory. I've never had problems running the programs I'm trying to run, or--the biggest problem--sharing folders from my XP machine. Now, everytime I browse to the shared folders, I get that memory error.

Thanks for the tip. If you think of other things to check, please let me know those, too.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Out of memory errors are generally related to System Resource problems.
After a fresh boot, from Explorer, do Help > About

If the percentage is not in the mid-80's range, you most likely have too many apps starting.
This site will help you identify the unnecessary ones.

The other possibility is spyware. Download and run Spy Bot to check.

Monkey Boy

Problem still exists. Spyware checks turned up nothing. Virus checks are updated and clean. No conflicts in Device Manager.

I downloaded a utility called RAMPage and it will free up memory manually, but over time (maybe an hour) I drop again from 85% physical memory free down to 6% free--even if I'm not otherwise using the computer. So I've definitely got a leak, or something is little by little taking over my computer.

If anybody can help, please let me know.

The most frustrating part is that, even when I manually clear up to 85% physical memory, when I try to browse a shared folder (to my XP machine) the Win98 machine still gets that "not enough memory available" error. With 85% physical memory free and 94% of a huge virtual disk free, how can I not have enough memory available?

Thanks for any advice you can share.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
You didn't indicate what your Resource percentage was at boot time?
Also, is virtual memory Windows managed or have you changed the settings?

Monkey Boy

WhitPhil: Fresh boot shows 64% system resources free, and MemMon shows less than 20% physical memory free.

Triple6: I'll download and post.

Thanks to you both!

Monkey Boy

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 9:29:29 PM, on 4/25/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMMKBD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONSCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I2D1.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\SPAMKILLER\SPAMKILLER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\RAMPAGE\RAMPAGE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\WINDOWS\DESKMENU.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETPERSEC10\NETPERSEC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\RAPIDRES\RAPIDRES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\MEMMOM\MEMMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP70\WINZIP32.EXE
F:\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.yahoo.com/ext/hp/search.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
F0 - system.ini: Shell=
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiKey] Atitask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TCASUTIEXE] TCAUDIAG.EXE -off
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C84 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I2D1.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C84 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C84"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKExe] c:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE\SPAMKI~1\spamkiller.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ICSDCLT] c:\windows\rundll32.exe c:\windows\SYSTEM\icsdclt.dll,ICSClient
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RAMpage] "C:\Program Files\RAMpage\RAMpage.exe" M=28 T=15 D=N P="C:\Program Files\RAMpage\RAMpageConfig.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] c:\windows\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - Startup: Deskmenu.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\DESKMENU.EXE
O4 - Startup: NetPerSec.lnk = C:\PROGRA~1\NETPER~2\NETPER~1.EXE
O4 - Startup: RapidRes.lnk = C:\Program Files\RapidRes\RapidRes.exe
O4 - Startup: MemMON.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\memmom\MemMON.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O16 - DPF: {28F00B0F-DC4E-11D3-ABEC-005004A44EEB} (Register Class) - http://content.hiwirenetworks.net/inbrowser/cabfiles/2.5.19/Hiwire.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {1E2941E3-8E63-11D4-9D5A-00902742D6E0} (iNotes Class) - http://tampamail.achieveglobal.com/iNotes.cab
O16 - DPF: {27527D31-447B-11D5-A46E-0001023B4289} (CoGSManager Class) - http://gamingzone-dev.ubisoft.com/dev/packages/GSManager.cab
O16 - DPF: {3BFFE033-BF43-11D5-A271-00A024A51325} (iNotes6 Class) - http://tampamail.achieveglobal.com/iNotes6.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?38012.8228356481

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online