1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory leak, pls look at start up...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by vox, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vox

vox Thread Starter

My old trusty, toshiba satellite 4030 laptop ( 64 ram, 2.2 gigs, win98) that I've faithfully scanned, defragged, hijacked and spybotted over the years has come down with a severe memory leak. Within an hour of start up it falls from 88% to 53%, gets slower and slower and crashes. I hadn't downloaded or installed anything new. Generally, all I am running is OE and IE. I've downloaded cacheman recently, but either I'm not using that properly or it isn't helping. Here's my start up list..any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Adobe Gamma Loader.exe Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe"
    Cacheman Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRA~1\CACHEMAN\Cacheman.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    IrMon Registry (Machine Run) IrMon.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    TMOUSE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Toshiba\Mouse\tmouse.exe
    TFunckey Registry (Machine Run) TFunckey.Exe
    TPwrMgr Registry (Machine Run) TPwrMgr.Exe
    TOSHIBSU Registry (Machine Run) TOSHIBSU.EXE
    Tweak UI Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    AVG_CC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    THotkey Registry (Machine Service) THotkey.Exe
    Avgserv9.exe Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Cacheman probably saps the resources more than helps.

The issue is one of resource "pointers" being allocated to applications and not being released by them, so they get used up. There is a finite number in Windows 9x.

Its not a "memory leak" as such usually, just misbehaving software.

It could be any of the applications you have running, one or more may be damaged. The best start would be to reinstall/repair all that you can.

3. iaavagent

iaavagent

I'm not saying that the following will help, but have you had your cmos battery long? Tried running some of the repairs in Tweakui, IE? Assuming no Virus etc.

As to the battery, a friend was having multiple troubles and his cmos battery was 6+yrs old and it was suggested he replace it. He kept insisting that his time etc was correct. Finally he did and his pute ran a lot better. Similar has been posted on TSG threads. Again not a cure all but for less than 10 bucks it's a start. Just be sure to read your manual on how and what you need to do first!

Also do you think you have enough memory? Are you getting any illegal ops,caused by urlmon.dll etc? Memory going bad? Just some thoughts, Good luck.

4. vox

vox Thread Starter

Thank you-

I uninstalled cacheman, removed everything unneccesary from the start-up and ran the tweak UI repairs... the puter's running a little better. I'll look into the battery and let you know if it clears up the problem completely or not. I think I have plenty of memory, it says:
    Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
    Clean install using OEM Preinstall Kit /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS /IS /IW /IQ /ID /IV /IZ /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 6.0.2600.0000
    Uptime: 0:03:02:08
    Normal mode
    TOSHIBA
    GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
    64MB RAM
    59% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1617MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 1617MB of 4117MB (FAT32)

I wouldn't know how to tell if it's bad memory... But it's been a good ol'boat til now...
    Thanks.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The resources issue is not usually related to memory directly.
    If memory was faulty, then more drastic things would happen.
    Likewise a CMOS battery is unlikely to be implicated.

Only misbehaving software that is allocated resources, and does not release them when its finished. Its been an issue with Win 9x and ME, but is no longer a problem under XP thank goodness.

Under ME the only cure I could use was to reboot 4 times per day.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice