1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory loss?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LeShin, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LeShin

LeShin Thread Starter

Hi guys, this is going to be quite tricky to explain as I don't know what is wrong so as to ask a coherent question but here goes......

I seem to be experiencing a major memory leak on my C Drive partition. I've lost up too around 3-4 gigs of space and cannot account for it. I've got a ton of new folders which are now appearing in my C Drive, but they all have very long names made up of a long list of alphamumeric characters. An example: "3e18f4ecfbf29d3c63637243a60a92" When I try to delete these folders I get errors which are telling me there is a file in use or something. Files such as: ASPNET.MSP

I understand that this file somehow relates to microsoft framework, but I installed it properly a few weeks back, or at least I thought I did.

Now I am getting constant memory low errors on my C Drive and everytime I delete something which CAN be deleted such as the odd program or two, the memory just goes in a few hours. Tried defragging, clean-up, then tried spydoctor and ad-aware but to no avail.

Did some research and thought I came across a similar list of problems another user was having. The problem was with something called "Virtuemondo", so I downloaded a program called "Vundofix" which detected an infection and it seemed too repair it, but my memory problem still persists.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I hope I've been clear in explaining my problem. If you need a system log of my PC, just run me through the procedure and program I need since it's been a VERY long time since I ever needed to produce one. I think I still have Hijackthis somewhere.

Cannot wait to start using Linux when I get my new PC......eventually :)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

First of all, you are talking about disk space and not "memory". Memory doesn't change or disappear.

Try one of these apps to see if you can narrow down where your space is being used and what areas are changing:

Disk Pie
    TreeSize
    Xinorbis
    AssessTree

But you may be right about an infection. Have you scanned with anti-malware and anti-virus apps?

3. LeShin

LeShin Thread Starter

Thanks for the links to those programs. I downloaded Treesize, very useful app. According to Treesize, I have 23 of those offending programs, all of which seem to be 32mb in size, a pagefile of 520mb which I did not notice last week being there though I've been told it should of always been there and a 467 Dr Watson file

I've scanned my computer using Ad-Aware SE, Spydoctor, Registry Mechanic and Spybot Search and destroy. No results yet.

Currently running Sygate personal Firewall and Norton Anti-Virus.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you think you have an infection that is manufacturing files, try running HijackThis. Post the log in a new thread in the Malware forum for help by experts in analysis.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice