1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory lost/miss placed after reformat

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Rings11, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rings11

Rings11 Thread Starter

I recently reformated. Used the restore CD.
    I have an Emachine 633is Windows ME O/S
    and supposedly 32MB now it is showing only
    30MB. Where should I look for the rest of my
    memory? And how would I get it back where
    it is supposed to be? Also, in MY COMPUTER
    it is showing the amount of memory in GB
    instead of MB. In Bits/Pixel it shows a -1.
    I am confused as to what to try to do.

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Your amount of RAM is correct. The "missing" 2MB is being used for video memory. Your RAM is not showing as GB in My Computer. The amount of RAM isn't displayed there. You're seeing the size of your hard drive which is measured in GB.

You're going to need to describe exactly what "Bits/Pixel" is. How did you display this number?

3. Rings11

Rings11 Thread Starter

Thanks Max 19
    I got the bits/Pixel info from the system info in Help and Support
    If it is going to video memory Why did it take 1 MB yesterday and another today. It was 31 and now it is 30. Will it keep doing this? I run Innoculate for anti-virus protection. T,he reason I am concerned is that I wanted to switch ISP's but when I put in the install disk it tells me that I don't have enough memory to be able to set up, that it requires 32MB. Suggestions???

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. Rings11

Rings11 Thread Starter

I found the 1MB of RAM that I thought was lost
    It is in Video memory but how do I get the total system memory back up to 32MB so that I can use the new ISP CD to switch. (it is now showing 31MB again ) I don't know what is up with that. I re-ran virus scan and everything is clear. I was told by a friend of mine to remove my memory stick and then reseat it and while I was at it I could go ahead and add the 128MB stick that I was wanting to put in at the same time then to boot up and that should make it put the 1MB from the video memory back into the total plus add my increased amount to it with no problem. Does this sound right ???? Thanks for the Help. :)

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

just put the 128 stick in if you are going to anyways, then the install CD will work
    - it needs to go first anyways, depending on your motherboard specs, it may or may not take the original 32 also
    - in the dusty manual, look for a chart of the memory slots and what combination of sticks can go in

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice