1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Management Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BostonJules, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BostonJules

BostonJules Thread Starter

Hello,

I am having troubles with my first build. The computer works enough to start up and use some basic software, but it eventually crashes, particularly when playing WoW. Sometimes I get the BSoD with one of the two following errors: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or BAD_POOL_HDR (something like that). I found another post saying to run Microsoft's memory diagnostic tool. When I ran the bootable CD, it got through the first test ok, then had Failures on the INVC test and LRAND test before freezing during the STRIDE 6 test.

A little extra (possibly useless) history. The computer seemed to be doing ok before I installed a Graphics card. I am not entirely sure that is when the problems started, but I have since removed the card and uninstalled the drivers.

Thanks!

System info:
    Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
    Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB SATA
    RAM: 6 GB OCW DDR2 RAM (this is the best I can recall off the top of my head)
    Graphics Card: VisionTek ATI Radeon 4570 (removed this. also has no support for Win7)

2. Wallyinnc

Wallyinnc

Hi Jules
    It looks a lot like memory problems

First the simple things: remove your memory sticks and reseat them, carefully. Are you sure they are DDR2? Your board takes DDR3. Are you overclocking?

Then you might try Memtest86 to run a memory test: http://www.memtest86.com/

Finally, it is strange that you say a ATI Radean 4570 doesn't have support for windows 7, have you checked ATI's site: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit ?
    If you prefer not to re-install the card, run the Windows cleanup installer utility to make sure all the drivers are completely removed: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Good luck and let us know

3. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

Please upload your dmps files for analysis:

4. BostonJules

Thanks for the replies! I'll start the Memory reseats/tests after I post this.

I wanted to post a little more info and corrections.

The memory is OCZ 6GB DDR3 (sorry, I assembled this a while ago and forgot the RAM info). I am not currently overclocking

As for the graphics card, I should have said VisionTek doesn't seem to support Win7 (at least I couldn't find anything on their website for it). I did update to the drivers posted on the ATI/AMD website. I do plan to reinstall it once I get the system running better.

Minidumps from my last 20 crashes attached.

Attached Files:

5. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

Looks like Norton is causing the issue. Please uninstall it completely, then run this removal tool: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Then download and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Code:
    [font=lucida console]
    BugCheck 1A, {8886, fffffa80036e09d0, fffffa800431fa00, 500}
    Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiUnlinkPageFromLockedList+298 )
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
    BugCheck A, {10, 2, 1, fffff80002c98a5f}
    Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiReplenishPageSlist+100 )
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
    BugCheck 1A, {41284, 24057001, f6bb, fffff70001080000}
    Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+4a83 )
    BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80002ccc805, fffff8800a0727a0, 0}
    Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!ExpInterlockedPopEntrySListFault16+0 )
    BugCheck BE, {fffff8a0082709e0, 8000000188dc1101, fffff880070c9a30, b}
    Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+423be )
    BugCheck 19, {20, fffff8a01277b8b0, fffff8a01277bc10, 5360318}
    Probably caused by : SYMEFA64.SYS ( SYMEFA64+47fa )
    BugCheck A, {8, 2, 0, fffff80002d7e4ab}
    Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiStoreSetEvictPageFile+b )
    BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80002d3da5f, fffff880074d6cb0, 0}
    Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiIdentifyPfn+26f )
    BugCheck 1A, {5003, fffff90000812000, 3940, 14f300a77280}
    Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!memset+b0 )
    BugCheck 19, {20, fffff8a0026fe6c0, fffff8a0026fea50, 5390037}
    Probably caused by : BHDrvx64.sys ( BHDrvx64+6c1eb )
    BugCheck 1A, {41790, fffffa80016896f0, ffff, 0}
    Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+33946 )
    BugCheck 50, {fffff8a009d88000, 1, fffff8800109eb04, 0}
    Probably caused by : SYMEFA64.SYS ( SYMEFA64+33b04 )
    [/font]

6. BostonJules

I tried to remove Norton and ran the removal tool. Then I installed the Microsoft Security and ran some scans and left the computer alone. A while later it had apparently recovered from a crash.

I reseated the RAM, and started up the computer. It got stuck trying to load the ASUS OS. After shutting it down, I have since lost post. I will have to post another update here once I reestablish that (hopefully tomorrow).

Thanks for the ideas.

7. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

All right, thanks for the update. Remember to upload any new dmps.

In the meantime, you might want to try a memory test. Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!