1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory management error 1A blue screen of death and cpu fan failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by confused42, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. confused42

confused42 Thread Starter

Hey all, my boyfriend and I recently purchased a desktop PC (dell studio XPS 7100 with 16gb ram upgrade which may be part of the problem) from a Craigslist seller, the computer seemed to be working fine until the seller decided to drop the price a bit and remove one of the hard drives as he was selling it to us (he forgot to save his files apparently). Immediately after he did that the computer would turn on but not boot the os. We went to take care of some other business and he reinstalled the os and when we came back it was working fine. When we got it home the other problems started. the computer boots and runs seemingly fine but randomly crashes with the dreaded blue screen of death. It says it is a memory management issue.. Blue screen error 1A. We have scanned and tested for memory and hardware issues but everything seems to check out ok. We have also removed and then placed the ram sticks back into their slots and the problem still persists. We are stumped on this one. More recently it has been also intermittently saying cpu fan failure but the fans are working. He thinks it might be a problem with the heat sink. The seller claimed to be a programmer but didn't seem to know much about computers... didn't even know how to enter the bios. He forgot to unplug it at first and was being pretty rough when taking out the hard drive. Instead of looking up how to do it he just started randomly unscrewing things so some of the parts may be damaged... Thanks for your time!!

P.s. Windows 7 ultimate

2. centauricw

centauricw

BSOD 1A errors can be caused by drivers. I'd make sure that you installed the drivers from the Dell website.

On a side note, (and not be too critical) Craigslist comes with an implied caveat emptor and you probably should have walked away when he wanted to retrieve the hard drive. Just because he may be a programmer doesn't make them hardware-savvy. But I think it's still salvageable, through be sure you've written down the Windows product key in case you need to reinstall it.

3. confused42

confused42 Thread Starter

Yes of course :) I was well aware of that going in and I'm still glad I bought it. Even if there is some hardware that is damaged it was still a great deal for the parts and we bought another one (custom built gaming desktop) the same day that has been great. I almost did just walk away but he said he'd take an additional 60 off of an already low price so I figured it was worth it.
    The drivers all seem to be functioning. We just tried taking out 2 of the 4 4GB ram sticks and it hasn't crashed since. So we are guessing one of them is faulty. That doesn't explain the cpu fan failure however.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that Dell Studio XPS 7100?
    (The numbers will be on a sticker on the case and will be listed in the BIOS)

----------------------------------------------------------

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Was Win 7 Ultimate the OS provided by the seller?

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    From what I can determine, it comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

----------------------------------------------------------

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I was thinking that the seller should have included the Win 7 Ult. Installation disc with the computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice