1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mNmASK, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mNmASK

mNmASK Thread Starter

Hello,

I might buy memory for my really slow computer, but first I have to know how it costs and what type I would need.

I have a

Dell XPS R450
    Intel Pentium II Processor
    448 MHz
    128 MB of RAM.

I was thinking of getting another 128 of ram, thinking it will speed up my computer a lot.

Does anyone know if my theory is true, that it will speed up my computer?

And also what type would I need and how much will it cost?

Thanks a lot!

2. Lyte

Lyte

128MB of RAM is very little now a days. If you're using it just as a word processor that's probably enough. If you're running Windows honestly, I'd suggest getting a new computer! By the time you buy more memory and a faster CPU you're already in the bear bones kits offered by Tiger Direct. There are a lot of deals to be found with Dell too.

I don't know what your budget is and sure, there's memory out there for $30 but (IMO) I'd save my money and get a MUCH better computer for $350.

Hope this helps. :)

Lyte

3. KingCody

KingCody

Memory will not do that system any good, it's just too old and too slow. that CPU cannot handle any program that requires more memory than you already have. asking that computer to run faster is like asking a 100 year old great grandmother to get off her wheelchair and run a marathon. It's not gonna happen. You could consider donating it to a museum..lol ( just kidding )

That being said, if you still want to waste your money on that thing, it takes PC100 SDRAM

4. Flags

Flags

MnM:
    There are a lot of things, beside memory, or lack thereof, that will slow down your computer. However, adding more memory is the cheapest way to speed up your PC.
    First, I would clean up your machine by deleting Cookies, Files and offline content. Run Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy and remove everything they find.Then run your Anti-virus program to get rid of any Virus or other infections you may have. If you have a registry cleaner, use it.. All these Cleaners are available FREE from www.majorgeeks.com.
    Now defrag your HDD. You should see some improvement in your speed at this point.
    Now, if you want to add more memory, I suggest you go to www.computer-memory-store.com, Click on Dell, select your model no. and they will recommend compatible memory for your computer.
    Depending on how much memory you have installed, you can buy as much as you need (up to the maximum supported by your machine) here. It will be guaranteed to work on your machine. By adding the extra memory, you will definately see an increase in speed.
    If you have any more questions, please post them.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm not sure its worth putting any money into a Pentium II system at all. Might be time to look into saving up for a new system which can now be had for a few hundred dollars.

According to a few sites I checked your system can use either PC100(all thats needed) or PC133 RAM. The most you can put in is 3 x 128MB sticks for a total of 384MB of memory. You can't install a 256MB stick if you wanted to, only 128MB sticks or smaller.

6. saltydawgs

saltydawgs Account Closed

if youve got a small budget, and dont use your computer for high end apps, then go ahead.
    128 mb memory is very cheap, some at even 15$.

anyways run a scan at crucial.com and it will explain what you need and how it will work etc.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/438206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice