1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory not Initialized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by narbertb, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. narbertb

narbertb Thread Starter

Hey all,

I have a Gateway 300s series pc.
    Crucial and gateway's site both say the system can handle a maximum of 1 gig (2 - 512 dimms). The system currently has 256. I added a 512 mg dimm of pc133 non-ecc.

When it boots it still shows 256 and the bios shows the 2nd slot as not initialized.

I've upgraded the bios to the latest and cleared the cmos to try and kick start it.
    It beeps if i try and boot with just the 512 dimm installed.

Any thoughts?

2. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Sounds like the RAM is bad or incompatible. I would return it and get a new one. What is the make of the RAM you have purchased?

3. narbertb

narbertb Thread Starter

That is the solution i came up with.

I returned the memory. The put it into an Asus board and it didn't post. The put it into another system and its up and running an passing their tests.

The tech said that maybe because the memory is 1 sided i would need 2 sided to be compatible. The memory currently in the system is 2 sided.

Now i have absolutely no clue what the difference between 512 meg of pc133 being 1 or 2 sided is (other than more chips) but we're gonna give it a shot.

I'm picking it up after work today.

The memory was a generic brand and low density.

4. narbertb

narbertb Thread Starter

I went last night and go the dual sided memory. Plugged it in and bingo 512 meg.
    Unfortunately i mis-read the max amount of memory that the system could handle.
    The system could only handle a max of 512 so i'm RMA'n the memory anyway. I have an old 256 dimm laying around.

Max memory aside... when i had both dual sided chips installed the bios recognized them both. No more "not initialized" message. So there was something to the single vs. dual.

Food for thought.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/639492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice