1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory not recognized in presario 2100 notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Niece57, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Niece57

Niece57 Thread Starter

I wanted to upgrade my memory in my Compaq Presario 2100 Notebook. I had the original 256 mb but was sharing with video driver so only had 192. In the specs it indicated I could upgrade to 1 gb. The store I visited did not have a 1 gb so I purchased 2 512mb. It is only recognizing 1 of them. What I bought was 2 - KVR333SO/512R PC2700 CL2.5 200 pin SODIMM. The salesman at the store said adding a 2700 instead of a 2100 would be ok because it would drop down to what it was needed. Is this not true? Could this be the reason it will not recognize both cards for a total of 1024? Thanks,

Niece

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you uninstall one of the Ram Chips does it still recognize the one? If not install the other to see if it recognizes it. It is possible that you ended up with one stick that is bad. I dont understand why the salesman wanted you to take 2 sticks of ram that did not meet your system specs. It is possible that they were actually less expensive thatn PC2100. THe PC2700 should work in your system. but is a waste of speed especially if they were indeed more expensive than the PC2100. These are Kingston Value Ram right?

3. Niece57

Niece57 Thread Starter

I did the switching around of the chips and one is bad. What I was trying to do was upgrade to 1 gb which that store did not have in stock, no slot for it either so apparently they did not sell the 1 gb. That is why I got 2 of the 512s. If I replace the bad one with another good pc2700 ..should they both be recognized? One thing my husband and I noted that we thought funny, both cards were in identical boxes..one being made in Korea..one made in USA ( this was not noted on box but on the actually memory stick). The USA card is actually the bad card. The cards look different as well..each card has little "black chips" I'll call for lack of correct term..the one made in USA ( the non - working card ) had 4 little black chips..the working one has 4 big ones with 2 small ones on top. Still wondering if it would benefit me to replace the non-working one with a another PC 2700 ?

Thanks

Niece

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    it should give you 1Gb ram but you will not benefit from the ram speed, you will however benefit from the increased ram.

5. Niece57

Niece57 Thread Starter

Being "ram" illiterate..lol..are you saying that the PC 2700 would be faster than the PC 2100 but I wouldn't benefit since 2100 is what I should have? If so..that would fine..I needed more memory for programs I need to load on my notebook for work ( and a few games I figured I could sneak in on breaks) Thanks for your help,

Niece

6. Niece57

Niece57 Thread Starter

BTW..they were Kingston Value Ram..yes.. :)

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    basically you got it right. Your system will run the PC2700 at PC2100 speeds. But you will actually notice an increasein performance just from the increase in Amount of available ram.

8. Niece57

Niece57 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of your help :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!