1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory overclocking help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by X_Gamer7, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

I have PDP Systems PC3200 512MB Dual Channel RAM, rated at 2-3-2-5 T1. This means that with the FSB at 400MHz, this ram should be able to run at 2-3-2-5 right? Right now, these sticks have given me nothing but trouble. I try to put the settings on 2-3-2-5 with the FSB @200MHz (x2, so actually 400MHz) and the system wont even boot up. The fastest settings I can have this RAM on with the FSB @200MHz is 2-3-3-8 (which is what it's set to right now). Do I have a problem here?
    I read in some other guy's post on a different site that he had his FSB @ 215MHz with timings of 2-3-2-8....
    Heat isn't my problem, I have the thermal case sensor shoved right inbetween the heat spreader and a memory chip on the RAM, and I'm getting 90.5 degrees farenheit.
    Is there anything that you can recommend to get this darned stuff to run better? Or is this normal ( :( )?
    Thanks,
    -X

2. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

As long as you monitor your temps closely, you could bump up the voltages a tiny bit.
    P.S. My RAM is @ 2.5-4-4-8 so your timings are pretty fast.

3. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

I see what you are saying. I have just one more question though. If RAM is rated at 2-2-2-5 @ 400MHz, it should be able to run those timings at that speed or else it is "bad" right? In other words, If I had my FSB @ 133MHz with 10x multiplier (nothing overclocked), and the RAM Async (running at 400MHz), it should be able to run 2-2-2-5?
    I have a good feeling I am going to be ditching this RAM for some nice GEIL Golden Dragon PC4000....
    -X

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!