1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory parity error w/ new modem..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaxx, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaxx

shaxx Thread Starter

ok.. i disabled my old 14.4 modem in windows and when i put in my new 56k and start up, it says "memory parity error: system halted" please help..

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi shaxx

Try reseating your memory dimms. You may have bumped them loose when you were installing your modem. If that doesn't help try removing the new modem card and see if you can boot up ok. You have removed the old modem card right?

3. shaxx

shaxx Thread Starter

yeah.. when i take it out, it boots up fine.. and yes i have taken out the old modem.. but i left the old ethernet card in.. that should'nt affect it should it? oh and i know it's not the memory chips themselves.. it's just my modem.. i think.. :p

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well its possible that the modem is using a different memory area and that you have a bad Dimm but its more likely that something is wrong with the new modem. Especially since the old modem works ok. I would take the new modem back and try a different brand.

5. shaxx

shaxx Thread Starter

hhmm i think i have a bad dimm.. i dunno.. i have 4 dimms.. each of them are 16 mb.. when i put 2 of them in.. it says i have 32 MB.. but when i put 3 in.. it says i have 32... and if i put all 4 of them in.. it says 64.. the thing is.. i had 32.. then i went and got 2 more dimms out of one of my old computers and put them in there..so i know the first two work.. but no matter what.. the amount of ram won't change unless i put in both of the new ones.. but that still doesn't affect the old modem..

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It sounds like your memory needs to be installed in pairs.

Have you tried placing the modem in a different slot?

7. shaxx

shaxx Thread Starter

hhmm well i have two different kinds of dimms.. (different brands i think) i can tell you more on it later.. but i do have them paired up in the banks.. and no i haven't tried putting the modem in a different slot.. i'm gonna try that..

8. shaxx

shaxx Thread Starter

ok well here's an update:

i took out the ethernet adapter that i had in and i put the 56k modem in its slot.. and the computer started up just fine.. and installed the modem perfectly.. i was real tired and didn't get to test it out.. but i don't get the error anymore... (althought i haven't restarted the computer since it installed for fear of getting that message again..)

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, you may as well restart it......

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/70524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice