1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory parity error.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jcandiff, Oct 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcandiff

jcandiff Thread Starter

This error is issued during Post and if i select CONTINUE , it happens again when Windows boots up and i am forced to power down the PC.
    I am able to boot up in safe mode.

THis error happened when i powered down my pc and plugged in a new USB mouse(w/pc/2 adapter) and inserted a 3comm 10 base T nic.

I then proceeded to boot up my computer and i got the preceeding error.I then removed the nic and mouse and put the origional mouse back on however i received the same error.
    During post the exact message was something like "Memory parity error.Device conflict. Would you like to remove this device".I "assumed" that the device in question was the mouse or nic so i said YES. From that point on my monitor will not come on. I get power through the monitor but when i tur it on, the light goes from green(display on) to orange(just power).

I removed my Voodo 3000 card and tried to use just the monitor port and it still ownt work.

My system is a gateway 550mhz, 128mb of ram, 20 gig hd.
    Devices;Creative CDRW,Creative DVD, Hp 670c printer, and scanner.

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi jcandiff

Try reseating the memory, then see if you can find the clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard. Move the jumper to this for 30 seconds and put it back where it was. Also is there a jumper on the motherboard for disabling onboad video? Check it and see that it is enabled.

3. jcandiff

jcandiff Thread Starter

i reset the memory but i havent tried the cmos jumper yet. The onboard AGP video is controlled in the bios so i am unable to check that setting.
    I will give the cmos jumper a try and update you with the results.
    Thanks

4. spalding

spalding

How many memory sticks do you have in your sys?

5. jcandiff

jcandiff Thread Starter

1 stick, 128 mb.4 total slots.I moved to a different slot thining that may fix the prob. but it didnt

6. spalding

spalding

Did your system come the the 128 mb? Do you have any old sticks you can try or one you can borrow from someone to ascertain if the memory is good or defected?

7. jcandiff

jcandiff Thread Starter

Naw, i dotn have any other sticks but this didnt start happening till i put that NIC in. Now i cant even get my monitor to stay on so i cant see anything on my screen.

8. spalding

spalding

More stuff in the computer the more memory requried to run a system. Think of a memory as a stair case. If you live in a four story building on the second floor you can get home as long as there are stairs up to the second floor. Your personal concern for stairs above that does not exist as long as you do not have to go above the second floor. Your memory could be defective in the upper registry which could explain an error occuring when additional components have been added. In other words, the system didn't know the memory was bad until it had to use certain blocks. Other side may be have you had any power surges lately. If you can swap the memory I would definitely attempt to, if for no other reason then to rule out possibe conficts. I had problems with certain games blacking out and causing fatal errors due to unmatched memory sticks. Wasn't a problem until I had to utilize additional memory at which time the conflict poped up.

9. jcandiff

jcandiff Thread Starter

I understand the memory theory clearly however i have removed the offending device(the nic) as well as any unessary devices(scanner,cam,and printer).
    I am certain that my problem of the monitor not comming on has nothing to do with memory.
    Heres whats going on:
    My monitor has 2 LED lights.A power saver light(for standby mode) and the Power Light(for when the monitor is in use).When i turn the monitor on, the Power Light comes on and then after about 2 seconds, it goes over to the Power Saver Light. Since the Power Saver light is on i am unable to see anything.This problem started happening when i put the NIC in and received a Memory parity error(probably because i already have a Nic built into the motherboard that wasnt disabled).I chose to IGNORE the message and was unable to boot in normal mode.I was able to boot into SAFE mode with no problems.Upon removing the NIC and booting up, I received the same error message so instead of IGNORing the message I chose to REMOVE the offending device(which was an option). Ever since then my monitor has been having this problem.
    Therefore it was me removing the device(which seems to be the monitor) and not my memory that is causing this problem.
    And my question is simply, How do I add my monitor back as a device if i cannot see anything on my screen?
    Ive tried removing the CMOS however i was unsucessful.
    Thanks

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi jcandiff

I was hoping that resetting the cmos would get the onboard video controller working again. I suggest removing the battery for a while and also put the memory into the first slot. The onboard video probably shares the memory and needs it in the first slot to work.

11. jcandiff

jcandiff Thread Starter

I removed the battery for a day but i did not put the memory back in slot 1.I will give that a try.Thanks

I dont think i metioned this but the monitor has 2 led lights.1 for Power saver and 1 for Power.When i turn the monitor on it lights up the power light for a fw seconds and then immediately goes to power saver.As long as it is in power saver, the monitor will not be displayed.

12. Lurker1

Lurker1

Yes thats normal

As long as the monitor isn't getting any signal from the system it will shut down (power save). When you get a reset from the power up you will get a temporary green light

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/55912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice