1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Parity Failure

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by saado, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saado

saado Thread Starter

So I'm on my computer earlier today, using it as usual for a while doing work. I step away for a little while and come back to it frozen, which hasn't happened in a while. I have to manually shut it down and when I go to restart it, it's going really slow, takes me to a black screen, gives me the following message:

Memory Parity Failure at 1B1B0000 - 1B1BFFFF
    To resolve this issue, try to reset the memory
    Decreasing available memory

I have no idea what the hell this means, so I turn off and try again a few times, same message each time. Finally I decide to take the battery out, wait a few minutes, put it back in. This time is starts up as normal, gets me back into Windows, but as everything is loading up, it freezes. So I am back to square one. I try re-starting it a few more times, instead of giving me the error message, it would just freeze along the way.

I call some computer buddies of mine who both tell me it has to do with the ram. Both say to take it out, put it back in, see what happens. I do that, take both cards out and the battery, wait, put all back in, start. This time it starts up as normal, gets me back into windows, and I'm surfing the net for a bit. As I'm typing an email again, freeze. Manually shut down and restart. From this point I get a combination of the original error message or it just freezing. My one friend suggested I try swapping the ram cards around, or just using one at a time, but nothing works. Some times it wont even do anything,just black screen and two lights are flashing above the keyboard. I think it may have something to do with not putting the cards back in right.

Anyway, I'm hooped here, can't even get it started and using my gf's computer. Not sure if I just have to replace my ram or if it is something else. It's a Dell Inspiron 6400 Notebook and has Vista. I've had it for roughly three years, never had any major issues. Replaced the battery once, that's about it.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on here, please help!

Thanks.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. saado

saado Thread Starter

I've tried blowing it and letting it cool for a day at a time now, nothing.

Also tried doing a logistic test during start-up, and it keeps freezing.

I can't really do much else, at least, not that I know of.

Do I just need to replace my ram or what?

4. joeten

joeten

Hi you cannot run the memory test then you may well be looking at replacing the ram but first try it with just one stick,if that freezes swap it out and try the other also try swapping them to the other socket one at a time and try to run the test

5. saado

saado Thread Starter

I've tried swapping the ram around but it didn't work. I also tried just one stick at a time but this type of laptop does not support that. You need to have two sticks in at once.

I dropped it off at a repair place this morning. They haven't done checking it but the techy just told me he thinks its the motherboard. I think that's a load of crap. Why else would the message keep saying to reseat the memory? I'm thinking I just need to get new ram.

6. joeten

joeten

Hi hopefully it is just the ram and not a socket going bad

7. saado

saado Thread Starter

I picked it up from the techy yesterday and he said its the motherboard. He tried a few tests and used the ram on another comp and no problems. I guess it could it be the motherboard but what confuses me is I'll restart the computer now and it will take me all the way into Windows before freezing. If the motherboard was done, how would I be able to get so far? Shouldn't it just stop me in start-up?

8. joeten

joeten

Hi not necessarily it may be the extra load once winows has started that is showing the problem,did he tell you what on the board is failing

9. saado

saado Thread Starter

He did explain it quickly, but I didn't fully understand.

I decided to get a second opinion, have it at a second place now. Hopefully have an answer by the morning.

10. joeten

joeten

Hi It would be interesting to hear the outcome

11. saado

saado Thread Starter

It ended up being the motherboard was toast. It was glitcing out and not sending the right messages to the CPU and harddrive, causing it to freeze and/or give error messages. Decided not to replace it and went out and purchased something new.

12. joeten

joeten

Hi thanks for getting back to us shame the mobo went hope you got something better

13. saado

saado Thread Starter

Tell me about it. I really hate having to transfer things to a new computer. Having a tough time right now importing my old emails. Damn windows mail and outlook 2010 uncompatibility.

14. joeten

joeten

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice