1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory pb help needed

Discussion in 'General Security' started by jimmy21, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmy21

jimmy21 Thread Starter

Hi,

I need some help. My PC is shutting down down every now telling that my memory is not enough.

Can any one help me to clean up my memory and also see if there is no virus affected or hacked.

I have also a small pb, my spybot starts whenever i open my PC. It is the first application that works even before any other application starts. can any one help me to configure it so it is opening not at the beginning but only when i want it?

2. Avtar

Avtar

First of all you need to check how much space is free on the drive you've got your operating system installed on. Secondly, you need to go to Start > Run > msconfig and check what programs are in your Startup and remove the ones you don't need.

Minimize applications in start up, maximize disk space availability in your operating system partition and see if the problem persists.

3. jimmy21

jimmy21 Thread Starter

where do i see how much space is free??
    how can i know which application to remove??

4. Avtar

Avtar

Right click on the partition, click Properties and it'll tell you how much space is free, I'd recommend having at least 1.5 - 2.0GB free on the partition with the operating system on it. If that is not been satisfied, then I suggest running a clean up on that partition. Start > Run > cleanmgr and select the required partition, then the required files to be removed.

You will know which application to remove if you don't think you want it there every time you start up your computer. If you don't use it all the time, don't have it there, you could always open it up later.

5. jimmy21

jimmy21 Thread Starter

I have between 8 and 9 GB free. so i think that it must not come from this. Where can i see my Memory RAM and how can i clean it??

6. jimmy21

jimmy21 Thread Starter

when i was talking about memory not sufficient i was thinking of memory RAM. Can you please help mebecause i can't work with my PC. It shuts down in the middle of my work and i loose every thing i have done.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

To see how much RAM you have, right click computer in the start menu and choose properties.

Which OS are you using ? XP or Vista ?
    For XP, 512 MB is good, and for Vista 2 Gigs is good.

You cannot clean your RAM.
    Windows, by design, uses up all of your RAM and allocates it to programs as when required. If you are running into problems with RAM, the only thing to do is to use msconfig and disable some so that they don't startup automatically, thus using less RAM. Or you can buy addtional RAM.

8. jimmy21

jimmy21 Thread Starter

I have XP as OP and my pc is 512 MB.
    I used MSCONFIG to clear some programs but still i have the same pb.

In this case do you have any idea of what is causing the pb????

9. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi you have yet to say what Anti-virus and Spyware programs you have installed.
    Are they updated and have you scanned your system?

Removing seldom used programs will help.
    D/loading Treesize it will tell you what space they take up.
    http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

I have never heard of Windows complaining about lack of RAM and shutting you down. The worst it will do is use more hard drive swap space and run slowly. If you see an error message, what does it say?

11. jimmy21

jimmy21 Thread Starter

Here is the error message that is shown when ever windows is shutting promptly without any warning.

I am using spybot and avast. In the past i had an virus in the system volume but i thing i got rid of it. i am not sure. if you see the treesize you will see that the system volume is not accessible.

Attached Files:

12. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Post back a copy of the actual screen that mentions a lack of memory.

13. jimmy21

jimmy21 Thread Starter

i can't; because My computer just stops and there is a blue screen with all kinds of cmputer language and at the end memory insufficient and then my pc restarts.

14. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Startup and Recovery Settings
    UNtick the option to "Automatically Restart"

This will disable the restart.

See if you can capture the screen. If not, note the actual Stop code and the specific language about insufficient memory.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice