1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bigpapapump, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bigpapapump

Bigpapapump Thread Starter

We recently tried to update memory for a hp 512n 1.4 cereleon comp. The motherboard says the max is 512 so we up graded it to 512 however it is only reading 128 from both of the 256 slots. The best buy guy didnt know what to do nor did the hp guy. They though it was the bios but its been reset and updated. Any suggestions.:confused:

2. John Burns

John Burns

I am not a computer whiz - I can assure you, but just a thought from experience. Are you sure you installed the proper memory? I recently installed 256 memory in my Compaq computer and it read only 128 - the problem was that I had installed single sided memory - not double sided memory as is required for that particular computer. Be sure to go to a reliable memory configurator - or to the computer manufacturer and determine that you in fact have a compatible memory. Just a thought - maybe you have already addressed this - but I didn't - and I was getting similar results. Once I bought and installed the PROPER memory, it recognized the total amount installed.

3. rosh325

rosh325

I too am no expert..but make sure that you used the correct type of memory: pc 100/pc130.....ECC or non ECC...these things are important and an error could cause the incorrect reading

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

sounds like john burns is on the right track although usually that problem is caused by installing high density(double sided) memory in a board that doesnt support it....not the other way around.

what happens is that the board only reads one side..hence half the memory. I would head over to www.kingston.com or www.crucial.com and check their memory configurator for a suggestion.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice