1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tim973, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tim973

tim973 Thread Starter

Hi, I have emachine w1500 model computer ,when I bougth it had 128 mb ram. I added one stick ram 128mb 2weeks ago, yestoday I started my computer it was making beep noise and I try to restart it started and I checked the ram amounth it was 128 mb.Other stick of ram was missing , then I turned of the computer and I swiched the memory sticks I restarted the computer everythinks were okey ram amounth were 256 ,today same think happen again I tryed one by one everythings were okey.I know one of the memory stick is bad how to know which one is realy bad memory stick please help

2. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

If all was aok bef u added the new stick, then I'd say that cuz of the irratic behavior-- the new stick does not play very well w/ the original. There is however the remote possibility u may hav done some damage during handlin since u were switchin them aroun a bit. So to be sure, I would recommend runnin the machine for awhile w/just 1 stick of 128 to see how it behaves. That is if u can afford that luxury of a thing called, "Time".

3. tim973

tim973 Thread Starter

firstable thanks for advice ,I took off one of the stick and couple day I will try then I m going to take of the one which is in now then I will try otherone for couple days.But one of the memory stick is bad definity rigth? accualy one of them not verry good rigtht?

4. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Not necessarily bad; the more likely scenario is that the new one just doesn't play well with the original.

How old is that eMachine ? What kinda memory does it take ?
    Ur not mixing PC133 w/ PC100 r u ? Some of the more newer PC133 is not downward compatible w/pc100. Even if it is a downward compatible pc133.... it still may not work well with pc100.

5. tim973

tim973 Thread Starter

the computer which I bougth is refurneshed it has amd athlon 1600+xp cpu and it worked 2 weeks(except starting problem sometimes it doesnt start I unplug the power cable and I try restart and it start usualy I called tocompany they send me new power supplayer but still same ) okey with the 256 mb yestoday and today I have heard beep noise

6. tim973

tim973 Thread Starter

pc looks like brandnew and it has ddr memory 2100

7. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

So what ur sayin is that the PSU has just been replaced, right ?

And when u say beep noise r u referrin to the POST-good single beep signal that u normally here as the pc is bootin up ? Or r u talkin bout somethin else ?

8. tim973

tim973 Thread Starter

rigth its new upsifferent problem.yestoday and today I heard just beep beep beepbeep noise and it didnt bootup and I turned off and on couple time and finely bootup but warning cameup said my memory amouth has been changed it was showing amouth o f memory 128mb but it had to be 256 and computer bootedup with the 128mb then I chacked again amouth of ram from system propery it was 128. I turned off my computer I swiched the rams stick then restarted it it worked booted normal I checked amouth of memory it was 256 that time yestoday and todays beep noise is unusual

9. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Sorry, can't comprehend what ur spelling there on the "upsifferent problem." is. Please restate.

Also, is todays beep noise unusual (somethinelse), or usual in the sense of a single "Pwr Good" beep. ? Not clear on that one either.

10. tim973

tim973 Thread Starter

it was keep beeping like this beep beep beep beep beep, it wasnt normal bootup beep

11. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

All the beeping started right after the memory change/addition,
    right ? If that's true, think i'd dump that new stick you just got.
    Hav u tried goin to crucial.com. U should be able to find a match there for ur pc. May be worth lookin into.

Not really sure of what 5 beeps mean on the beep codes there.
    Gonna hav to chek on that later.

Update: Just chek'd a site on award beep codes. 5 beeps I guess could be interpreted as Continuous Beeping I guess which they say is usually problems with System Memory, which ur havin.
    So as i suspected ur beepin cuz of the memory incompatability.
    Course tis based on Award Bios. What Bios do u hav ?

12. tim973

tim973 Thread Starter

yes all beeping started after memory checked and it wasnt 5 beeps it was keep continuing beep sounds.probably one of the memory stick is bad Im going to buy new one. one question if I have bad stick memory still work but not 100% some times it gives problem to the computer rigth?

13. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

yep ! As I had said in a prior post, the new stick may not be necessarily bad. It; in all probaly is just incompatible with ur original 128mb stick.

14. tim973

tim973 Thread Starter

meigth be heat too.Computer has just one fan its for cpu coolig thats all .I had checked the heat of cpus' and motherboards' before I installed twonewcasefan heat of cpu was 126f and heat of motherboard was 109.Now heat of cpu is 117f and heat of motherboard is 106. I added other memory stic every thinks look okey I hope

15. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Ur Athlon XP1600+ is probaly a Palomino Core. They tend to Run a bit hotter than the Thoroughbred's. 117F is bout 47C. That is well within AMD tolerances for temp. Mine runs @ 45-46C under medium load. Gets a little hotter, (49-51C) when i run intense video/dvd rendering; heavier load stuff, ya know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice