1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ALANTHAME, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ALANTHAME

ALANTHAME Thread Starter

hi
    can someone please help me
    ive got 128mb memory on my pc
    ive just installed another 256mb but ever since ive done this
    my pc crashes
    also when i restart i get ablack scren with message in corner
    saying 164mb memory error this screen last for a few secounds and then computer
    starts but will play up now and then any help???

2. Rukee

Rukee Banned

sounds like the new memory is not compatible with either the motherboard or the other stick of memory. Will the new stick run on it`s own without the rig crashing when put in the slot the original RAM was in??

3. ALANTHAME

ALANTHAME Thread Starter

yes the new stick works on its own
    ive took the one that came with computer out
    is it because one stick is 128mb and the other is 256mb
    do they have to be same mb

4. Jo1lygrngian

Jo1lygrngian

It could be a number of things, that are making the new stick mess up with your existing one. For instance, a few years back, using SDRAM, the sticks needed to be the same, ie if your existing stick had chips on both sides, then the new one needed chips on both sides. Same goes for chips one sided.

Also it could be the speed of the memory causing an issue here. (Assuming you have sdram) IE the old stick is pc100, your new stick is pc133. This also caused a few errors. On todays motherboards, this isnt too much of a issue, as if your new stick is faster then the old, it will reduce speed to be compatible with the existing stick.

One thing i would do, is to crucial's website, enter the details of your pc, motherboard etc, and it will tell you exactly what memory sticks are fully compatible with the board, with both speed and memory size. Then check this against your new stick, to ensure all is well.

If i can help any more, please don't hesitate to shout :)

5. ALANTHAME

ALANTHAME Thread Starter

im useing dimm sticks
    made by pny pc133

6. Rukee

Rukee Banned

if they won`t run together then they are not compatible with each other. Run the biggest stick you have then.
    Always buy memory in matching sticks in a 'kit' to ensure they will work together in a dual channel system, I know that may not always be possible, but like in your case, you`d be better off to buy a 512mb kit, or even a value level 1gig kit and have less hassle in the long run, plus a faster machine too.

7. ALANTHAME

ALANTHAME Thread Starter

ive been on crucial web site and it says i can go as far as768mb

8. ALANTHAME

ALANTHAME Thread Starter

thank you for your help its nice to know
    the are people out there to help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice