1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rubicks13, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rubicks13

Rubicks13 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have a weird memory issue. Basically I have a XPS 410 which has 4 slots for memory. I had 3.0 GB of RAM in the machine a few months ago (512 x 2 and 1GB x2.) One of the 1Gb Sticks went bad to I bought a new one and stuck it in and the computer would not boot and “squeaked” before trying to boot. I took out the new RAM and the system started perfectly. I then tried to put the new RAM into another slot and the computer once again did not start. I have tried 3 different sticks all brand new and all the correct RAM. It seems as though the system does not “accept” any new RAM. Running Windows 7. Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

CUBE

2. helpful

helpful

First off newer memory (dual channel) has to be installed in pairs. Did you verify the new memory modules you purchased have the exact-same specifications as the old 1 GB currently in the system? if the modules are mis-matched the system will not perform correctly (some motherboards will warn and operate in single channel debug mode while other will refuse to post).

Second, try just putting the new memory module in and remove all others. Does the system boot up correctly?

3. Rubicks13

Rubicks13 Thread Starter

Attached Files:

4. helpful

helpful

the memory modules do not match, and is most likely why you are having problems. Did you confirm that the new memory module works with all others removed from the system?

5. Rubicks13

Rubicks13 Thread Starter

Ok so I got it, the system does boot up with only the new 1GB of RAM without any other ones in the slots. So that leaves the question, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with the following processor and motherboard. (attached screenshots) So do I need to do anything in the BIOS, ie. (re-flash) or can I just pop in 2GB sticks in each slot to start cranking this thing up with RAM? At crucial it says the max is 1GB per slot for a total of 4GB. I have the Dell XPS 410. If I do nothing to the BIOS and get the 2GB pair of RAM will the OS boot up and see the 4GB plus the other 1GB in there now. I would be removing the 512 sticks. So the board would be:

2GB in Slot 1
    2GB in Slot 2
    1GB in Slot 3
    Nothing in Slot 4 (yet)

Thanks again!

CUBE

Attached Files:

6. helpful

helpful

7. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

The Dell XPS 410 supports up to 4GB only, a max of 1GB per slot. It uses dual channel memory which requires you to have identical memory in each channel (of which it has two--they are color-coded).

In other words, don't "pop in" the 2GB chips. Each slot only holds a max of 1GB. The system will run in single-channel mode (slower than dual-channel) if you only use a 1GB chip. Note that, since your system is dual channel, 2x512MB is actually faster than 1x1GB.

Keep this thought in mind; the XPS 420 uses DDR3 memory. You need 3 chips to get the full benefit. And each slot holds up to 2GB each; 12GB total on the board. That's what I have.

Courtney

8. helpful

helpful

Now your just bragging :p

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Also keep in mind that eBay is not the best place to buy ram from. After looking at your link to the ram you bought it seems that it is unbranded. You should actually take a look at Kingston Value Ram. Not all ram plays nice with each other. It could be just a problem of the different ram sticks being incompatible with each other.

10. Rubicks13

Rubicks13 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies:

Ok, so my strategy to get 3.5 GB of memory in the machine in terms of cost reduction is as follows:

Slot 1 - keep 512MB stick in there
    Slot 2 - remove 512 MB stick - replace w/ new 1GB (matching same memory as Slot 4)
    Slot 3 - keep 1GB stick in there
    Slot 4 - Add new 1GB stick (matching same memory identical in Slot 2)

Question, why does the 1GB of “old memory” stick still work even though it does not have its counterpart (1GB) along side of it?

So if I remove the 512 MB stick from Slot 2 how come the 512MB stick in Slot 1 will continue to work?

Thanks,
    CUBE

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Because you will not have matched pairs in all 4 ram slots your ram will not run in dual channel mode. There will be a slight speed reduction in the ram but you will probably not notice the difference. You do not have to run in dual channel mode. If you were to take one of the 512Mb sticks out and run the computer with one stick of ram only it will still work. If you were to put in just 3 sticks of 1Gb ram it would still work. I am running windows 7 Pro 32 bit on this machine with 3Gb (3 X 1Gb sticks) and it is running great.
    But remember, sometimes Ram sticks are not created equal and if you are having problems getting the new 1Gb stick running with the old 512 Mb sticks already they may be having problems with compatibility. The seller you purchased the ram from has a compatibility guaranty, so if this is the case you might contact them about replacement.

12. Rubicks13

Rubicks13 Thread Starter

So just so that we are clear on the below:

So are saying that since the new stick of 1GB memory being popped in slot 4 does not match the 1GB stick that is in slot 3 that’s the issue?

Analogy:

Let’s say I have a 1GB (abc brand) stick in slot 3. Then I stick a 1GB (bcd brand) into slot 4. Is that the reason why it does not boot up since both “brands” are not “abc”? Or is it the actual RAM that is incompatible? I am going to go over to crucial and pick up a 1GB stick of PC2 5300.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That is a possible reason, And it not necessarily the brand not matching that could be a problem. It is usually a better idea though to buy ram in matching pairs though.

14. helpful

helpful

We know the mis match of memory is the cause, we isolated problem in the previous posts.

The new memory installed with all other DIMM's unoccupied the system boots fine confirming the new memory module appears ok. When you paired the memory to the existing one GB module the system failed to boot.

That is wrong. Dual Channel requires the two dimms to match the (usually) color coded dimm sockets on the motherboard.

As long as the memory is paired to the respective color DIMM you will be fine. You can have 2x 512MB (colour coded) and 2x 1GB (colour coded) no problems and your system will operate in dual channel.

That will not work slot 1 and slot 3 do not match.

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The op here is talking about 3.5Gb Ram Which will not run in dual channel mode. If he were to run two 512Mb sticks in two matching color slots and two 1Gb sticks in the other two Matching color slots, then he would run in dual channel. Or if he wanted to run 4 sticks of 1Gb filling up all slots similarly he would have Dual Channel. But mixing capacities with in slots of the same color will not run in dual channel

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice