1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory purchasing help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silvershield, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silvershield

silvershield Thread Starter

Hi, i have 256MB DDR SDRAM PC3200 installed on this PC. I found a good deal on a 256MB DDR DIMM PC2700 module, will this work in my PC?

2. klnaj

klnaj

If you refer back to your motherboard user memu, it should give you detail information about what type of memory you can use.

3. qldit

qldit

Good Morning silvershield, under normal circumstances provided that you don't have a dual memory channel kind of system, there should be no problem.
    But remember that 2700 will reset your memory speed to a lower overall setting.
    Obtain Memtest86 and test any memory whenever it is fitted or whenever you have odd problems.
    http://www.memtest.org/ (making the bootable CD is best)
    Ensure the power lead is removed and follow commonsense antistatic procedures anytime you operate insde the machine. (especially with memory)
    (Personally I would shoot for 3200 but for general use there would probably be no noticeable performance loss with the 2700)
    Cheers, qldit.

4. qldit

qldit

G'day, I just had a look at that motherboard spec, I would not suggest fitting anything other than matched sticks of 3200 as the brands reccomended.
    You have a performance system, don't cripple it with odd generic memory.
    qldit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice