1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory question? 512x3 or 1Gx2, much difference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnWill, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator Thread Starter

If your machine supports dual-channel, the odd number of modules will result in a reduced memory bandwidth. Your application mix will determine how significant that is.

2. 8nout

8nout

I apologise for dual post. The first time I posted this thread I got a window saying there was a problem with the server and I thought the posting didn't go through.

3. JohnWill

We are occasionally having DB issues, that explains the empty posts. :)

You might also tell us the make/model of the MB and/or machine.

4. 8nout

8nout

Thanks for the response...

Gigabyte K8ns mobo (has three memory slots to support up to 3 gig of ddr 3200)
    1 gig (512k x 2) ddr 3200
    AMD64 3000+
    Radeon 9800XT 256mb
    XP home sp2
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card

I'm not sure what dual channel is but I don't see it mentioned in any of the mobo specs.
    I've read in forums that increasing amount of memory would improve PC performance for BF2 gaming. I'm just wondering if a third stick of 512k would be worthwhile or should I go to two sticks of 1 gig.

Thanks...

5. JohnWill

I can't imagine adding memory past a gig will do anything noticable for gaming performance, I'd save your money. If you must spend the money, I think the 512mb module would probably be sufficient.

I suspect that board isn't a dual-channel board, having an odd number of memory slots would indicate it's not.

6. KingCody

KingCody

The number of memory slots doesn't matter. Many dual channel boards have 3 slots, however, you must use 2 for dual channel, when the 3rd is used, it goes into single channel (there are certain intel boards that can utilize all 3 slots in dual channel as well)

His specific system cannot run dual channel, but not because of the board, but because of the CPU. Athlon64 CPUs have the memory controller built into the CPU, not on the chipset.

Socket 939 supports dual channel, and socket 754 does not. His K8ns mobo and CPU is socket 754, so it cannot run memory in dual channel.

you won't notice any difference by adding a 3rd RAM stick, since your system is single channel only, it will not use the 3rd chip until the first 2 are "full". where in a dual channel system, both RAM sticks are used at the same time, which doubles your memory bandwidth.

as you can see, dual channel is where the performance lies, so don't waste your $$$ on another RAM stick that your system won't even use

7. 8nout

8nout

Thanks for the info....you saved me $50. I know I should just leave well enough alone. I'm so freakin computer impaired.... lol

8. Krelian

Krelian

If you want to improve gaming performance, get a better video card (although the one you have now is more than good enough). Memory is best used for running multiple applications and number crunching.

9. JohnWill

I'd love to hear how you use an odd number of slots and still run the memory dual channel. ;) Is one of the channels for the odd memory module a "phantom" memory module? :D

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually Johnwill, he's correct. You can indeed run Dual Channel with an odd number of sticks but not all chipsets support it - the NForce2 does, some SiS chipsets do too as well, and I assume some others do as well. Two slots are on one controller and the remaining slot is on the other controller. Its not as effecient has two matched modules but it does apparently work.

The Asus A78NX-E Deluxe only has 3 DDR slots and supports 3 sticks in Dual Channel and mis-matched sizes.

11. JohnWill

I figured that, but if you have three 512mb modules, I know for sure one of them isn't running dual channel! :D

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. JohnWill

Triple6, I sit corrected! :D I never even heard of this gimmick, and from the article, it appears to actually work. (y)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/439866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice