1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory question regarding SPD and compatiblity

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rayi23, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

I was having some memory issues with this GP7-650 Gateway computer. I have discovered that WinXP can often be very particular about memory; whereby WinXP will not install and gave numerous error messages; even though after installation, the problematic memory will sometimes work. I do have various memory that were for Apple computers laying around that are labeled as PC100. I have this 128mb Micron memory with US APPLE, PC100-322-620 that just would not work during WinXP installation, yet another 64mb PC-100-322-620 that was non-Apple labeled was finally able to install WinXP without numerous error messages. But I do see this PC100-322-620 often labeled as for Apple Computers like thei Mac, etc. Yet after I installed WinXP with this PC100 64mb, the Micron 128 did work. But then I was curious as to why the 64mb PC100 gave the message: serial presence device (spd) device data missing or inconclusive do you wish to boot at 100mhz bus speed ; properly programmed SPD device is required for reliable operation; yet the Micron 128mb did not. How important is this SPD on a memory chip? Also, apparently, other forms of Apple memory do not work like the Kingston KTA-G3/256 definitely caused problems, though it worked to some extent. Any insight into any of these issues? Basically, I'm just trying to get this Gateway to get the right memory without spending too much money. The gateway chat person said that all it required was PC100 SDRAM; the web site called for: 128-MB 100Mhz 64Bit 4-clock CL=2 SDRAM UNBUFFERED DIMM. Thanks

Link on SPD issues: http://tinyurl.com/2t6y9j (although it has an Intel WS440BX)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/579823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice