1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rlowe38742, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rlowe38742

rlowe38742 Thread Starter

My friend has a dell dimension 4400 with only 512mb installed pc2100. it has two slots for memory so it can be upgraded to 2gb max , any ideas on best memory to use to upgrade it with?? can i go with pc2700 or do i have to stay with pc2100. Memory Speed MHz: 266MHz is installed. can i go to 333 without having to tweak bios, i dont know how to do that

Thanks all in advance!

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  4. steve_qid

steve_qid

update the bios to the latest and you should be able to use all speeds as long as they're PC1 or DDR1

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's NOT a valid reason for updating the BIOS.

And if the BIOS update was to go bad, that computer would be nothing more than a heavy doorstop.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. steve_qid

steve_qid

I challange you on this one.
    HP Workstation XW6000 and XW6200 won't read newer chips on old BIOS, same for Dell Precision 380, 390 and 470, Latitude D600 and D610. Done dozens of these. Remember that PC1 and PC2 chips came in high and low density flavors, older BIOS sometimes couldn't read high density

7. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I agree with flavalee on this. To just add compatibility of one speed of ram, is not a wise reason to attempt a bios update. Especially on an older computer. A bios flash gone wrong will wreck the system. Especially since this computer does not even belong to the OP, it belongs to a friend of the OP.

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I would also agree with Flavalee and dustyjay. You are correct steve_qid, however, do the benefits (which are absolutely minimal really) justify the risk? I would say no, to be perfectly honest.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

Crucial guarantees PC2700 or PC3200 to be compatible with a Dell Dimension 4400. You shouldn't need to do anything to BIOS.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice