Memory question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rlowe38742

My friend has a dell dimension 4400 with only 512mb installed pc2100. it has two slots for memory so it can be upgraded to 2gb max , any ideas on best memory to use to upgrade it with?? can i go with pc2700 or do i have to stay with pc2100. Memory Speed MHz: 266MHz is installed. can i go to 333 without having to tweak bios, i dont know how to do that

Thanks all in advance!

update the bios to the latest and you should be able to use all speeds as long as they're PC1 or DDR1

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That's NOT a valid reason for updating the BIOS.

And if the BIOS update was to go bad, that computer would be nothing more than a heavy doorstop.

---------------------------------------------------------

I challange you on this one.
HP Workstation XW6000 and XW6200 won't read newer chips on old BIOS, same for Dell Precision 380, 390 and 470, Latitude D600 and D610. Done dozens of these. Remember that PC1 and PC2 chips came in high and low density flavors, older BIOS sometimes couldn't read high density

dustyjay

Jay
I agree with flavalee on this. To just add compatibility of one speed of ram, is not a wise reason to attempt a bios update. Especially on an older computer. A bios flash gone wrong will wreck the system. Especially since this computer does not even belong to the OP, it belongs to a friend of the OP.

Tanis

Shane
I would also agree with Flavalee and dustyjay. You are correct steve_qid, however, do the benefits (which are absolutely minimal really) justify the risk? I would say no, to be perfectly honest.

Crucial guarantees PC2700 or PC3200 to be compatible with a Dell Dimension 4400. You shouldn't need to do anything to BIOS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online