1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrosehutchinson, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrosehutchinson

mrosehutchinson Thread Starter

I am considering adding some additional memory to my computer (windows XP home edition). At present moment, I have 128MB SDRAM. My question is... I have one expansion slot left for memory and I would like to add 256MB SDRAM in addition to the 128MB SDRAM. I know that on some computers you have to have the same amount (64MB and 64MB).

On a Compaq 4410US computer, do I have to buy another 128MB SDRAM stick or can I buy a 256MB SDRAM stick and add it to the 128MB SDRAM?

And another thing. I have very little self confidence in myself, how foolproof is adding another memory card (stick) to a computer? You know, don't want to pay someone $50.00 for 1 minute of work. If that.

I'm adding new memory (some may ask, and I know the feeling) because some processes I'm running takes too long (games) and when I end it, I get the error on my taskbar reading low memory.

2. Romulus

Romulus

SDRAM don't require that you use same type of RAM. You can easily upgrade with a 256 no matter what kind of RAM you have in other slots.
    But I will need to do another check for your Compaq model. You've got the full model number? I recently suffered a time exhausting troubleshooting with my computer when upgrading the RAM, only to find out that the serial number of the memory module was wrong.
    Compaq often wants Kingston or some other special brands... :/
    How old is your computer?

The upgrade is like an easy puzzle from kindergarden. Like those little boxes with holes in and you try to put correct block that fits in each hole. ;)
    This is kind of just as easy.
    All you need is to make sure which way you need to put the module into the slot.
    When you restart the computer after that you'll might need to confirm the upgrade by pressing a key for saving the new configuration.

BTW..
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/any/na...dId=compaqpres92745&docName=c00007688&cat=faq

3. Romulus

Romulus

Searched a little for your model and found this..

If this is your configuration:
    Compaq Presario 4410US

System Type: Desktop
    CPU: 1.3GHz Intel Celeron
    Standard Memory: 128MB (removable)
    Maximum Memory: 512MB
    # of Memory Slots: 2
    Memory Speed: 8ns
    USB Port: Yes
    Notes:

Then I guess you could need one of these:
    Viking Part # OEM Part # Description
    C4223 174223-B21, 175893-B21 64MB PC133 DIMM
    C4224 174224-B21-KT, 175894-B21 128MB PC133 DIMM
    C4225 174225-B21, 171651-B21, 174225-B21-KT 256MB PC133 DIMM

That's memory modules from Viking Components.
    http://www.vikingcomponents.com/

Maybe this price will do?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004WIM9/ref=nosim/vikincompoinc-20/002-3724967-6794435

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!