1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crispy Monk, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crispy Monk

Crispy Monk Thread Starter

I want to upgrade the memory in my PC, but am unsure of the best (cheapest) route to go about it (I currently have 256MB)

The attached link gives details of the PC's supported memory configurations:

Memory Guide

Now I can obviously go down the route of purchasing an equivalent part from Kingston / Crucial et al (approx £75 for 256MB, £95 for 512MB), but the cheapskate in me has been tempted by the prices on EBay for Non ECC 168 Pin SDRAM (£20-£30 for 512MB).

So I guess what I want to know is:

• Is buying memory off Ebay a good idea?
    • Will non ECC memory work in my machine if I remove the existing 256MB ECC module?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Crispy

2. drkilldrmz

drkilldrmz

Buying e-bay memory could be hit or miss.. You could save quite a bit, but Caveat Emptor! (let the buyer beware). What model is your pc?.. I would think non ecc memory would be fine for you. Maybe even a hair faster..I know that some servers NEED ecc ram, but im unaware of any desktops that require it.

3. Crispy Monk

Crispy Monk Thread Starter

PC is a Compaq EVO Workstation W4000 - I think it's got ECC as it is (was) part of Compaq's "profesional workstation" range.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice