1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bmapc, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bmapc

bmapc Thread Starter

I just bought a new computer, but it only has 256MB of memory. I'd like to upgrade to 512, but I've never done that before. Is there anything specific I should look for? For example, do I need to buy the same speed memory as my other memory? Same manufacturer? Is there a noticable difference in manufacturers?

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Your owner's manual should have tell you the type and speed of memory needed for the system.

What's the make and model?

Or you could go to someplace like www.crucial.com and use their memory search engine to find what your system needs.

3. Doug Vitale

Doug Vitale

You can look at the Kingston website to determine which type of RAM to install. Unfortunately, this board won't allow me to post a direct link... :rolleyes:

Your PC uses a specific type of RAM such as RDRAM, SDRAM, etc. You have to know which when you install more RAM sticks. Have someone who has installed RAM before to show you how. Also, watch out for electrostatic discharge (ESD) when you work on hardware upgrades.

4. bmapc

bmapc Thread Starter

The memory that came in the computer is 256 MB DDR333 PC2700 Non-ECC Memory. Do I need to get something that is identical to those specs?

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Yes. That would be the best bet. Although anything with a faster rating should work just fine and match the old ram's speed.

6. obvious

obvious

yeah, get some faster RAM if your motherboard can handle it, as it will give you a little more flexibility in the future (as long as DDR is still in use in a few years) better still, just buy 2 512mb sticks of good RAM, sell your 256MB stick, fit on of the 512 sticks, and keep the other as spare. or just fit both.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice