1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Airesz, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Airesz

Airesz Thread Starter

I bought a PC133 512MB stick of ram from ebay. I got it today and placed it in one of my computers. It was a Dell Optiplex GX50. When I went to boot it all it did was beep. (Memory Issue) I pulled it from that computer. I then placed it in my HP 505w. My HP computer booted just fine to the desktop but my computer was only seeing ΒΌ of the computers total ram.

I booted to BIOS and there it said my ram was a 128MB PC100 stick

Can anyone tell me if it is possible that what I have is actually 512MB?

Why would my computer show it as 128MB PC100? They guy who sold it to my said it was a 512MB PC133.

Thanks

Michael

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Actually you should be able to tell on the sticker that is on the module. Sometimes the numbers on the chips can also tell you.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Also as well as cgesicki's answer, the Belarc Advisor can also tell you what memory you have. You can download it for free at this link. Install the program on your HP machine (make sure your memory is in before running Belarc Advisor.)

5. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

I love BeLarc Advisor...it gives a LOT of info about a computer.

You may also wish to go on the net and access the manufacturer of your ram to see what it is. Generally all that is necessary is to give the model number of the chip.

6. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

Memory chips are classed as to whether they are ECC or non-ECC and that might give a false reading.

Best thing is to go to the net and see what it really is.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Michael:

According to the CRUCIAL site located here for your Dell Optiplex GX50, it supports a total of 512 MB of RAM. Since it has 2 RAM slots, it means you can't install more than 256 MB in each slot. It can use 128 MB and 256 MB modules, but not 512 MB modules.

According to the CRUCIAL site located here for the HP Pavilion 505w, it supports a total of 1024 MB of RAM, so it'll accept a 512 MB module in each of its 2 slots.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

It looks like flavallee is right.

If so, and you cannot use it in your laptop or some other computer, you may wish to try and return it. Assuming the chip is what he had advertised, you have a problem in that he sold you the product as advertised.

Basically you have few rights if he has sold you what he had advertised. However, he may be willing to allow you to return it if you agree to certain conditions. Like he could ask for a restocking fee of 20% or more which would not be unreasonable in light of his time and shipping costs.

Basically, he is under no obligation to accept it's return unless it came with a "satisfaction guaranteed". But even then it is arguable that it is a working chip for the purposes it was designed for and not a defective chip.

But as sellers do not want a bad response, you may be able to convince him to allow you to return it for a restocking fee.

It is also possible that he would be willing to sell a second chip for your laptop (assuming the chip you have is the right configuration) for the same price or even a small discount. But he is under no obligation to do so.

Otherwise, you can try to sell it yourself.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice