1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory question...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Massacher, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Massacher

Massacher Thread Starter

i have been having memory errors, mainly from games, and a few blue screens, both in XP Pro x32 and Vista x64.

it got me to thinking about Dual Channel mode for my RAM sticks.

when i got my current computer, see sig for specs, it came with 2Gig of RAM. about a month ago i upgraded with another 2Gig of RAM, for a total of 4Gig RAM.

now my question is, do i need to install them in pairs?
    i didn't touch the first two RAM sticks, i left them as is. when i put the other 2 sticks in there, i used slot 3 and 4 which were the only 2 remaining slots.
    now i am thinking that i may have done this incorrectly, but i am not sure.
    i checked on Apacer's site and i noticed at the bottom it states:

when i read this, i thought, pairs hmmm.. i guess that means each pair much use the colored slots. i have 2 yellow slots and 2 black slots.

as the computer came, the first yellow and first black slot was used, when i upgraded the RAM i used the second yellow slot and the second black slot.

now my understanding is that to install them in matched pairs the first 2 RAM sticks (pair 1), uses the yellow slots, and the second 2 RAM sticks (pair 2), uses the black slots, is this correct? note i do not have it like this at the moment. i just have them all as singular, at least i think i do. how do i tell if they are in dual channel mode?

the RAM sticks are identical, down to the specification as listed on Apacer's site under the specification column:

http://ap.apacer.com/ap/products/se...SUSTek Computers&System=Motherboard&Model=P5K

AP1024ASUE800 1GB Memory DDR2 DIMM PC6400

also in my motherboard manual it states:

so since my memory is DDR2-800 i must make sure that it is set to DDR2-800, is this correct?
    i have not messed around with memory timings and such in the BIOS and i do not want to go changing anything until i am sure i know what i'm doing.

edit: shortly after i wrote this message, my computer blue screened and it said PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. i don't know what that means.

since i had to reboot, i went into the BIOS and had a look what the DRAM Frequency was set to, it was on auto, so i changed it to DDR2-800. i don't know what difference that will make if any?

2. Flags

Flags

3. Massacher

Massacher Thread Starter

i did that within a few days of getting the RAM (with memtest86) and it came up with no errors. though i did it with all of them in there. does testing each stick separately make a difference?

4. Massacher

Massacher Thread Starter

i will begin testing them today.
    just 1 question before i start. do i test each stick in the same slot or do i test them in the slots they are in 1 at a time? which is the best way?

5. Massacher

Massacher Thread Starter

i tested each memory stick, in slot 1 with Memtest86+ v2.01, using the Standard test, all returned with no errors.

the details of stick 1 in slot 1 are:

S/N: 200732507052
    P/N: 78.01G9I.9L4
    1GB UNB PC2-6400 CL5

the details of stick 2 in slot 2 are:

S/N: 200807407573
    P/N: 78.01G9I.9H4
    1GB UNB PC2-6400 CL5

the details of stick 3 in slot 3 are:

S/N: 200732507051
    P/N: 78.01G9I.9L4
    1GB UNB PC2-6400 CL5

the details of stick 4 in slot 4 are:

S/N: 200807407572
    P/N: 78.01G9I.9H4
    1GB UNB PC2-6400 CL5

so i think that rules out that it's the memory?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/716716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice