Memory Questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

digitalsinne

I'm searching newegg trying to build on a budget.
I've picked out a processor and have found some motherboards that will depend on what kind of memory I can afford.
I have my heart set on a PCI-E vid card.

I just noticed a few things about memory that, being a recovering computer newb, I never noticed before.

Note: I am trying to put together a budget gaming PC and have no desire (at least right now) to overclock it or push performance beyond the box it came in.

Registered versus Unbuffered - What's the difference? Which is better?
CAS Latency - Should I go for lower CAS or more memory? e.g. 512mb @ 3 or less versus 1gig @ 4+ ?
Timing - 5-5-5-15? what do the numbers mean and do I want higher or lower?
Heat Spreader - Is it Necessary or just recommended?
Voltage - I am pretty sure I understand the basic idea of this, however when I put my PC together, should I buy the biggest power supply I can? or should I attempt to calculate to buy the smallest power supply that will cover everything in my system.

lastly, what brand is recommended? I know branding is a usually not needed, but for PC equipment, I've noticed that going with 3rd party is risky due to customer service and quality/longevity of the item.

digitalsinne

Oh yeah, and can I stack DDR and DDR2 RAM to improve performance or would it actually hinder my system to put both types in?

Rukee

Banned
REG ECC memory is for server class socket 940 machines, you can`t mix DDR2 and DDR.
If your not into overclocking, but you are into the newer games, then you`ll want this 2gig kit of memory. Very fast with tight timings. The lower the values, the faster the memory.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210
You only want 2 sticks at all costs, 4 sticks will force them all to run at a slower speed and also force the 2T command rate effecting bandwidth performance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online