Memory Questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jmhickman09

I heard that memory is backwards compatible (Ex. pc4200 on pc3200 motherboard). Is this true? this would be great because i was thinking about something like this
for when I get a new MoBo in the summer. I could use it now. Please correct me if I am wrong. Is OCZ decent memory? I've only seen one review on all of TigerDirect for the brand.

generally yess but some sticks dont llike being mixed with other speeds. orr even wont work with other motherboards. the computer i am on now has one that wont work in any other pc i tried but it works fine in it another pc had a 512 2100 stick of ram mixed with 256 2700 stick and they worked fine i added another 512 2100 to it and i had to remove the 256 stick

When you buy your MOBO check supported RAM. AMD systems use PC3200, make sure you don't buy DDR2 and expect DDR to run it for now.

Other things to consider, memory timings (matters more for AMD systems) Bus speed, Hyper threading, dual channel, etc. ECC, buffered, Non ECC, unbuffered...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Buying DDR2 and plugging into a DDR MB isn't going to happen, since the form factor is different, and they won't physically fit. :)

There was just a question in here recently about mixing memory speeds, and when I looked at the MB website, they cautioned against using PC3200 memory in place of PC2700 in their MB. I'd make sure it will work before you buy the memory.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online