1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory - SDRAM or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ingenou, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ingenou

Ingenou Thread Starter

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Euroline 1.8MHzIntel P4, with a Microstar MS-6391 motherboard and i845 chipset. Currently has 256Mb PC133 DIMM - is this the same as SDRAM? I want to upgrade to 512Mb, but there are two offerings - one that says SDRAM and the other that just says 'PC133 DIMM'.

I downloaded teh .pdf brochure from Fujitsu-Siemens, but that doesn't even say the motherboard accepts Pentium 4, llet alone what type of memory can be used for upgrade!

Can anyone help? :confused:

2. Ingenou

Ingenou Thread Starter

ps. I am obviously also dyslexic & illiterate!

3. roosterman

roosterman

your board will take pc100 or pc133 SDRAM. make sure you get pc133 because its the best the board will take.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, you most certainly want PC-133, PC-100 will not work if you're running the FSB at the proper speed in that system! In addition, SDRAM and PC-133 are the same thing, they're both SDRAM.

Are you sure you don't have DDR memory in that system? I have a i845 chipset system, and it uses PC-2100 DDR memory. Does your memory module actually have PC-133 stamped on it?

5. Ingenou

Ingenou Thread Starter

i think I'll have to open her up and have a look - according to the online manual, it shouldn't even be able to support an Intel Pentium 4! I bought it from 'BuyANicePC' in Nov. 2001 & their 'tech support' is non-existent. I spoke to a chap at Fujitsu, gave him the SN off the back & he told me what the motherboard & chipset were. Very frustrating!

6. buckaroo

buckaroo

7. Ingenou

Ingenou Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give it a try....

8. jm100dm

jm100dm

Downloading the program below may interest you. Belarc will list everything that is in your computer and you can print a copy for future reference. Very handy tool for finding out what you have to make upgrading easier.

http://www.belarc.com/Download-auto.html

jm100dm

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I agree that Belarc Advisor is a useful tool at times, but it's not always that informative about what memory in installed. Here's what it says about my 512mb of PC2100 DDR memory.

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A2' is Empty
    Slot 'A4' is Empty

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice