Memory - SDRAM or not?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ingenou

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Euroline 1.8MHzIntel P4, with a Microstar MS-6391 motherboard and i845 chipset. Currently has 256Mb PC133 DIMM - is this the same as SDRAM? I want to upgrade to 512Mb, but there are two offerings - one that says SDRAM and the other that just says 'PC133 DIMM'.

I downloaded teh .pdf brochure from Fujitsu-Siemens, but that doesn't even say the motherboard accepts Pentium 4, llet alone what type of memory can be used for upgrade!

Can anyone help? :confused:

your board will take pc100 or pc133 SDRAM. make sure you get pc133 because its the best the board will take.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, you most certainly want PC-133, PC-100 will not work if you're running the FSB at the proper speed in that system! In addition, SDRAM and PC-133 are the same thing, they're both SDRAM.

Are you sure you don't have DDR memory in that system? I have a i845 chipset system, and it uses PC-2100 DDR memory. Does your memory module actually have PC-133 stamped on it?

Ingenou

i think I'll have to open her up and have a look - according to the online manual, it shouldn't even be able to support an Intel Pentium 4! I bought it from 'BuyANicePC' in Nov. 2001 & their 'tech support' is non-existent. I spoke to a chap at Fujitsu, gave him the SN off the back & he told me what the motherboard & chipset were. Very frustrating!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I agree that Belarc Advisor is a useful tool at times, but it's not always that informative about what memory in installed. Here's what it says about my 512mb of PC2100 DDR memory.

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A2' is Empty
Slot 'A4' is Empty

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online