1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Slot Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rpoemer, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rpoemer

rpoemer Thread Starter

I have a Tecra 8100 Laptop running Windows XP Professional. The latptop has two slots (A & B) in which you can add 128MB of memory each.

When starting up the PC with both modules installed, I get the error message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

system32\drivers\pci.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select R at the first screen to repair."

I have done as indicated and done a full repair on Windows XP but still get same message.

I then went to Microsoft.com to search the knowledge base. According to Microsoft, the above message indicates

"This issue may occur if your computer contains a hardware component that is either damaged or is incompatible with Windows XP."

I followed their instructions and it turns out that if I put just 128 MB in memory Slot A, the computer starts up fine. If I add it in 128MB in slot B, I get the above problem. At first I thought it was a bad memory module, but if I switch them, they will both start up the computer in Slot A when used by themselves. So it appears to me that Slot B is the problem somehow.

Any thoughts or assistance greatly appreciated.

2. Sponsor

3. rugrat

rugrat

Or the memory modules may not be compatible with each other. Are they the same brand/type?

4. rpoemer

rpoemer Thread Starter

I guess I should have mentioned that the two modules I have were previously working in the machine. However, they are not the same brand.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Here's a memory testor: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Test each stick individually, as a pair, and in each slot and see how each one does. If one fails everywhere its bad, if it only fails in one slot then its a bad slot.

6. rpoemer

rpoemer Thread Starter

I have tested all in Slot A and both work. Neither work in Slot B. What do you do with a bad slot?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/337688