1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rafael75w, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rafael75w

Rafael75w Thread Starter

When inserting memory module on the memory slot it was not aligned properly. When i turn on the power i noticed smoke and i immediatly turned off the power. Removed memory module and half of it was burnt, now my question is the memory slot damaged? Because its slightly burned in the inside slot, could i install a new memory module in that particular slot? or do i have to change the memory slot thats on the mother board?

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

You are probably lucky if you didn't kill the whole board. The slot is most likely toast. If you were brave enough to try another stick in the same slot, it may not work, or it may burn-up something else. I don't think changing the slot is really an option. Motherboards are not exactly repairable items.

3. Rafael75w

Rafael75w Thread Starter

I have not turn on the unit since it happened.What if I tried turning it on placing another stick in a different slot and leaving the burn slot empty would that burn the motherboard?

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

You just never know.
    Leaving that slot empty is your best bet though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/201712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice