1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory speed faster than processor speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by treads100, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. treads100

treads100 Thread Starter

I have a motherboard that has a FSB of up to 400MHz.
    My processor is an AthlonXP 2200 which can only run at 266MHz
    My memory is 256MB DDR DRAM PC2700
    SisSoftware Sandra testing tells me my memory speed and processsor speed do not match. Question is: Does this really matter? I know a processor upgrade would sort it but a)the computer seems to run fine and b) I daren't try to sneak ANOTHER pc purchase past the wife! (just yet);-)

2. zeddy

zeddy

The memory speed can run in asyncronous mode in most modern motherboards so the memory in your system is probably running at 333mhz and your processor at 266mhz.

3. treads100

treads100 Thread Starter

Thanks! One less thing to worry about!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most boards do not allow asynchronous operation of the memory. Some of the high end boards do allow this. Your memory most likely is running at fsb speed. It will do no damage and run just fine like that. You are basically under clocking your ram. While some of the high end boards do allow you to run the ram at a speed higher than the fsb, it can lead to stability problems. For that reason I never use asynchronous settings for ram.

5. zeddy

zeddy

Mine does.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Many quality mb do allow this; oem or cheaper boards do not. In any case [imo] running asynchronous settings for memory and fsb lead can lead to instability.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!