1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Speed Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bd22250, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bd22250

bd22250 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard that had 2 sticks Samsung DDR PC3200, Unbuffered, Non ECC, DDR400 (512 meg each) that ran at 200mhz on mem check during startup. I recently upgraded with 2 sticks Crucial DDR PC3200, Unbuffered, Non ECC, DDR400 (1 GB each) only to experience random reboots, sometimes minutes after starting Win XP, sometimes hours.

After changing the Memory Frequency in the Advanced Chipset Features from 200% to SPD (autodetection) I have had no more random reboots. It now reads 166mhz on startup.

Would someone please explain why the Crucial memory (only difference is the megs) will not run at 200% like the Samsung did?

Thanks for the help.

2. Leec65

Leec65

that board is very touchy about ram, the one i had i put in 2 sticks of kington hyperX it would not even boot i open the bios and upped the voltage by .01 and it boot ok and was stable

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What speed does the samsung run at when you set it to spd?

4. bd22250

bd22250 Thread Starter

The Samsung runs at 200%, resulting FSB frequency of 400%. The new Crucial runs at 166%, resulting FSB frequency of 333%.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not understanding. That is a percentage. My question is what speed does the samsung memory run at when you set it to spd in the bios. It would run at pc3200 [400], pc2700 [333], etc.

Note your board does not support all memory. Did you order this memory from the crucial site using the memory configuration?

6. bd22250

bd22250 Thread Starter

In the "Advanced Chipset Features", "Memory Frequency" was set to 200% showing a "Resulting Frequency of 400%." Yes, I did use Crucial's memory configuration tool and then ordered the memory from Newegg. The exact memory Crucial recommended.

7. WarC

WarC

If those differing sticks of RAM run with different CAS latencies or other timings then it could possibly explain the instability. They are both rated as DDR400 but one could have a CAS latency of 2.5 whereas the other might have a CAS latency of 3. So if you have timing set manually to 3, and try to run the 2.5 CAS sticks at full speed they could become unstable. So timing is something you might want to look at in the BIOS.

In fact, I would recommend that you first reset the BIOS and try to see if all of the RAM will run at their full 400MHz that way.

8. kaaos

kaaos

i think the problem i am having relates to the cas timing
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/549274-latencies-important-when-matching-ddr2.html

what do those numbers mean?

5-5-5-12

9. bd22250

bd22250 Thread Starter

Hello,

I finally got things to work with no more random reboots. I now have 1 gig sticks in all three slots from Crucial, for a total of 3 gig. You were right WarC, it was all in the CAS latencies. After reading many posts on the Asus website and a little tweaking in my Bios things are once again running smoothly. Many Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice