1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Stick format error

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Desdamona, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Desdamona

Desdamona Thread Starter

I have a Sony Mavica FD digital camera, which uses floppy disks to store photos. I bought a Sony memory stick/floppy disk adaptor and a Sony 32 mb memory stick. When the stick was full, I transferred the pictures to my PC using my HP photosmart 100 (picture only printer) as a reader for the stick. After transferring the pics, I deleted all the pics from the stick. I went thru this process because when I tried to use my PC to read the stick, using the floppy drive, it gave me a message that my disk was not formattable (the adaptor). Using the printer as a reader worked very well; however, now when I put the adaptor and memory stick back in my camera, I can't take pictures. My camera states "Format Error". How am I to format the memory stick? Can't find that info in any of the paperwork, and have had no success finding a Sony helpsite. Can you help me? Thanks..Desdamona

2. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Found these two solutions at Google, I have a Sony Cybershot and it has the option for the following solution....
    Just had this problem ("Format Error 13-01") using 128mb Lexar memory sticks with Sony DSC-F707. The solution was to insert the memory stick back into the camera, set the dial to "Set Up", and select Format-OK. The camera then reformats the memory stick. Fortunately, I had not files in the MS.
    Hope this helps.

I found the following also at Google...I have no Idea on documentation as the link takes you drectly to the download...

"Try using this formatter freeware from sony website.
    It works well on my 128mb apacer stick. it remove the dreaded error message of Format error-13:01. Good luck!"

*edit* this link... http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/periph/memstk/ .... will take you to the sony memory stick download site...hopefully if #1doesn't work, you will get help here.

Also, when deleting the pictures from your memory stick, delete the images only, it seems if you delete the folder they are in, you will get the format error....Rhett

3. mscareall

mscareall

We have a Sony Cybershot, and when we put the pics on our machine, we just use the USB cable, hook it up, and move the pics from the camera to the machine. This way we dont have to format and worry about any messages.

Shirley

4. Desdamona

Desdamona Thread Starter

Rhettman5.1
    Thanks for the link to Sony. I downloaded their formatting program and hopefully it will work. Now having problem with the adaptor...evidently will have to buy a new one. The memory stick no longer snaps into place...slides in and falls right back out, so my floppy drive on the computer won't recognize it anymore. Always something to go wrong when you play with toys !!!!! Thanks for your help..Desdamona

5. lazindo

lazindo

Is there anyway to save the files before formatting the memory stick? Unfortunately I have my vacation pics in it and yet I couldn't open it. Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice