1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory stick pro duo in laptop SD card reader slot? it is even possible? i need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by linkinworm, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linkinworm

linkinworm Thread Starter

ok, i was bored and got some homebrew for my ds, but i needed some files off my psp memory stick, and couldnt be bothered to charge it as its dead and i cant find the charger, so i thauhgt "ill try it in my laptop sd card slot reader" and after a some moments later, bang!! autorun pops up, with the memory stick icon on it, all the files are accessable aswell

now my question is, HOW DID THIS WORK!, i looked in the slot and the pins are much to big/spaces to fit all the pins on the card. everyone know theres a size difference between sd and memorystick. how did it work, i didnt think there were duel sd and memory stick readers, all the usb ones if seen have seperate slots. this is bugging me, as it shouldnt, that and i have to get it in just the right place to get it to work, it doesnt seem to fit snug in the slot.
    any idea on how the hell this is working thanks

2. Sponsor

3. deuce

deuce

What make/model notebook do you have? The specs should list the card reader and what cards it supports.

You have a multi-card reader. My notebook only has one slot, and it takes SD and memory stick. (I think it is 4-in-1) My desktop has a 6-in-1 reader with 4 slots.

Post your notebook specs though. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can tell you if they are compatible enough to force one in the other and get it to magically work, but I doubt it. They shouldn't physically fit in the same spot nor should the contacts even line up.

4. linkinworm

* Intel Core 2 Duo T5300 Processor
    * (1.73 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2 MB Cache)
    * Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium
    * 2GB Memory
    * 120GB Hard Drive

Processor Type Intel
    Memory Size 2048 MB
    Memory Type DDR II
    Hard Drive Capacity 120 Gb
    Optical Drives DVDRW
    CD-ROM Speed 48 x
    CD-RW Speed. 24 x
    DVD-ROM Speed 8 x
    DVD-RW Speed 4 x
    Screen Size/Type 15.4'' WXGA GLARE
    Graphics Card Type Integrated
    Graphics Memory 224 MB UMA MB
    TV-out YES
    Sound Type AZALIA
    Modem Type 56k
    Wireless Enabled YES
    No. of USB Connections 4
    No. of Firewire Connections 1
    Battery Type LI-ion
    Battery life (up to) 3 hours
    Software Titles Included Works 8.5
    Operating system Vista Premium
    Weight 2.7 kg This is the weight of the appliance in KG
    Height 36 mm
    Width 358 mm
    Depth 258 mm
    Colour Grey/Black/Grey/Black

5. deuce

deuce

I was looking for information on the card reader. Does it say what kind of card reader you have?

6. linkinworm

arr sorry took so long to reply i usualy get an email, but im not sure
    SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller Vendor
    thats all i can find out from device manager, how else can i find out?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

How about the make and model of the laptop itself? There should be a exact model printed on the bottom of the laptop.

8. linkinworm

ah, i thought i posted it in the other post its an advent 8315

9. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Well can't find any useful info on Advent laptops. But most laptops that have card readers support several types of cards, and SD, MS and MS Pro's are widely supported by many card readers.

10. linkinworm

ye advent is hard to find stuff on, but the card slot doesnt even have the possition on where to put the sony stick in, i had to guess and just force it in to get it to work,
    thanks anyway

11. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Thats somewhat typically, the slot has to be able to physically accept several different cards varying in size and shape.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/662784