1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory stick

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by X Zero, Nov 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. X Zero

X Zero Thread Starter

are all memory sticks compatible with all pcs?Or do i have to know stuff before i purchase one?This is my pc...what kind of card should i get?,if they are not all universal.here

2. Sponsor

3. McTimson

McTimson

Usually it is dependent on the motherboard. Some motherboards use SDRAM, others use DDRAM, others use RDRAM. DDR is becoming the most popular memory, as it offers excellent speed for a relatively cheap price. RDRAM is faster, but since it is so expensive, DDR has become the favorite. These memory types are not compatible with each other, and will not fit in other memory slots.

Your motherboard can either use PC133 SDRAM, or up to PC2700 DDRAM. I would recommend getting PC2700 DDRAM, as that will enable you to have the highest FSB possible. You can also, however, get PC2100 DDRAM, or even PC1600, but PC2700 is the best choice.

You could get SDRAM as well, but unless you already have some of that lying around, don't do it. The performance than DDR will give will be well worth it.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

1 - There are different types of PC memory. It is good you haven't bought anything yet.

2 - You want DDR memory, at least PC2700.

3 - PC-CHIPS is C R A P. *I* used to buy from them for a while when I ran a PC shop - they made junk then and they make junk now. They do a lot of "cheating" on their products.

4 - Get an AMD system, especially if your on a budget. Putting a P4 CPU on a cheap motherboard will never get your the performance or reliability of a GOOD motherboard with an AMD (or intel) for that matter. I put mix-memory boards at the bottom of the pile.

Recommendation:

ASUS or MSI Nforce 1/2 chipset. (Cost about $10-15 more than the PCCHips) and get an AMD 2200 for under $100

Go to this site:
    www.pricewatch.com - paste this into the search field:
    - nForce2 chipset video -

ASUS Nforce1 with video = $61 (max CPU is AMD 2400/2600)

or the ASUS A7N8X-LA = $90 - which includes firewire, GF4 type onboard graphics (a lot better than PC-CHIPS or intel video).
    This board will take the AMD 2500 (333mhz) and AMD 3200.

I'd go with the $90 ASUS board, then 2 sticks of RAM (256mb x 2 = 512) for about $90 - then $90 AMD 2500 (retail box - includes very good cooler fan).
    Total = $270 US Dollars. (I know you're in Canada).

Trust me, it will be worth every penny... Because when you spend hours trying to figure out whats wrong with the PC-CHIPs, the crashes, the lost of performance... it ends up costing you more.

5. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

hes asking for a memory stick not a new computer!

Provides 2 DIMMs for PC133 SDRAM, 2 DDR DIMM for DDR333 SDRAM modules, and memory size is expand up to 2GB.

i dont think it can handle pc2700

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

oops! :) me bad.

I mixed "i have to know stuff before i purchase one" with both, because many people use it as an upgrade board.

I'm sorry.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/179938