1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Stick

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by woodies, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. woodies

woodies Thread Starter

Hi all at TSG! Can you help? I'm purchasing a sony digital camera which uses a "Memory Stick" for storage. Does anyone know if a compact flash card or a SD memory card would be compatible, or will I only be able to use a memory stick? Thanx :)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Only a memory stick will fit.
    The physical sizes are very different, as are the connections.

3. woodies

woodies Thread Starter

Thanx kiwiguy - that answers that!

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

I would stick with the Multimedia cards (i.e., the smaller cards that about the size of the old bazooka Joe bubble gum as they seem to be more popular with the newer cameras (which have gotten smaller). That's a pre-requisite for me before buying any new digital products (camera, camcorder, etc.). We just bought a digital for my daughter that use the MMC as do our other two cameras. The reason this is nice is because you can interchange the cards among the devices and you also, I bought an MMC card reader, which is plugged into the PC. Then all you ever have to do is pull out the cards from your various devices, stick it in the card reader, and transfer the pics right to the computer. No need to worry about different USB cables for the different devices and the software problems that go with it.

They do make universal card readers that can read more than one type of card so that if you already have devices with different sizes cards, that would be an option.

5. woodies

woodies Thread Starter

Thanks Mulder - your advice makes good sense. I have a bid in on a camera ebay, so if it doesnt succeed, I'll spend a bit more time looking at the memory card bit! I have a video camera which has a SD card, a little digital camera (which I'll give to the kids) which uses a CF card, and now possibly a Sony which uses memory stick! All with different USB cables. The card reader sounds a great idea. (I have to say though, the Sony camera - 5MP and 2.5 inch TFT screen is VERY attractive). Thanks again

6. Tjash2010

Tjash2010

Yea...A memory card reader would be smart if you were to buy the Sony camera. I have Sony digital camera and a HP. HP uses SD and Sony of course uses Memory Stick. I mean the SD cards are cheaper you could get a 128MB SD card for half the price of a 64MB memory stick. So you could get a Sony digital camera. Or you could go for a camera that uses SD like the new HP 5MP one which I hear is pretty nice.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/253116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice